Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will a speedi sleeve sort this

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Alot worse than the other side what your opinion will a sleeve sort it. My gut tells me no that itl have to go to a engineering shop. Welded and lathed to size again..

Opinions welcome
20190804_220539.jpg

I would say no .....
Also that's enough of a stress point to make it a possible point of failure .
You could try using one of the plastic metal type products and fill the groove then sand down again .....it may be better than a ring of weld around the shaft that would alter the temper and again cause a stress point .

That is quite a deep groove for seal wear but Speedi sleeves are aimed at repairing just such a problem so would be my first choice. I’m no metallurgist but agree with Grimbo that a weld/lathe repair could affect the strength of the shaft would avoid that fix.

Yes.
As mentioned fill that groove. The sleeves are quite pliable and can follow the contours of the material underneath.

Yes, but I'd fill it first. Done one the same myself. Use some liquid metal to fill it then smooth it off, then put the sleeve on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As the rest of the shaft is a smaller diameter I’d say it’s not the weakest point. I would however look at putting it in a lathe and making it a rounded groove with a ball nosed tool before filling it in. Why? Probably not necessary but a rounded off cut won’t allow the start of a stress fracture whereas an angle could. This is almost certainly one reason why the factory have ramped up to and down from this increased diameter.

Once filled, as said, speedi sleeve is the answer.

Got a 2nd hand shaft in great condition.. it will do as a spare. Hopefully not needed as a spare tho lol.

Indeed use only genuine seals! Not the shit Karson ones...
I've sleeved mine, a bit less worse then yours tough... I filled it up with Loctite bearing glue.
After 10,000 km I had the shaft out and still looked like new.

Back