Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Decisions

warrenpfo

I have been in conversation with David at Goodwinch and he has reccomended that i go for either of the below winches to fit my ARB bumper which I am hoping to order this week if Paul Andrews comes back to me.

David said:

"I recommend our TDS-12.0 Goldfish winch for £419. We could only supply with this an 11mm x 90 ft Dyneema Bowrope and Aluminium Hawse for an additional £125.
As an alternative, you could have one of our large drummed TDs-12.0 Goldfish winches for £629, plus an 11mm x 125 ft Dyneema Bowrope and Aluminium Hawse for £165."

My thoughts are that for the difference in price i am sure i could get a 35ft strap to make the extra distance i would like far cheaper than having to go for the larger drup and extra Dyneema.

Just thought i would ask if anyone had a different opinion.

I have had some problems on this very topic in the last week - I purchased a TDS12 from David only to find it does not fit the TJM front bumper!!!! Basically it has the brake on the end of the gearbox and this makes the whole winch too large for the gap in between the chassis.

toymay2.jpg

toymay3.jpg

Davids answer was to fit a TDS10 this will fit but some cutting/adjusting is required - as of today a work-in-progress I will post a photo once it's in place.

That is a bugger. Is David taking the 12 back and giving you a 10 or are you keep the 12...you know where i am going here?

I have another use for the TDS12 - it was illogical to send it back as the cost was ridiculous - like your though process though!!

I have a standard TDS12 and rope length isn't an issue but I have extension ropes if needed. Lack of power is a problem, it really struggled pulling my 100 up a hill at Lincomb coming close to stalling, it wanted doubling up with a pully block but a 12k winch pulling a rolling load (i.e. not grounded) up a firm surface (no suction) even on a steep hill shouldn't be in danger of stalling. I have been on similar hills but sitting on the axles in the past in my 80 and based on it's performance so far I doubt the TDS would have got the job done even doubled up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon, if you could or when you do do it all again are you saying you would get a 15000 or 16000 winch rather than a 12?

It just seems to be an electric winch thing Warren, they go great under light to medium load when the motor can run at a decent speed but once the speed drops they don't have enough torque. I'd put up with the 12k till I come up with a good way to power a hydraulic winch on my 100, an even bigger electric winch probably isn't the way forward but then I do carry 2 pully blocks and lots of rope if it really can't cope :roll:

HI isle of man where did you purchase your tjm bumper from ?

cheers roy

isle of man said:
I have had some problems on this very topic in the last week - I purchased a TDS12 from David only to find it does not fit the TJM front bumper!!!! Basically it has the brake on the end of the gearbox and this makes the whole winch too large for the gap in between the chassis.

toymay2.jpg

toymay3.jpg

Davids answer was to fit a TDS10 this will fit but some cutting/adjusting is required - as of today a work-in-progress I will post a photo once it's in place.

very surprised about this- David knows full well that the TDS12 doesn't fit a TJM15- the ends and feet have to be replaced which he has done on a number of occasions, both for his own 80 and others supplied by OEC.

did you tell him the bumper type before you purchased?

Not sure about dimensions but the new talon from superwinch looks a good piece of kit, more waterproofing than most. Sensible money too. The 4x4 place in Devon sells them, worth a look.

The all NEW TALON Performance Series is a game changer and has the potential to alter the outcome of the global winch industry.
AKA, The Winch of Prey, designed and engineered by Superwinch.
This is the industry's best truly sealed vehicle recovery winch assembly.
All seals on the entire winch meet the IP67 standard, from the outermost end of the high performance motor and groundbreaking solenoid to the 2-stage planetary and 2-stage spur gearbox.
The sealed 5.2 and 6.0 HP motors deliver a quick but safe 62 FPM line speed at a low 75 amp draw.
Heat sink-styled motor cap maintains low temperatures under the heaviest loads.
The solenoid will keep out water, mud, snow, and dust and has a patented venting feature that allows the contacts to resist water and release contact damaging internal condensation.
The VS4 Solenoid (Vented, Submersible, and Stabilized with Sealed Socket) is simply the best winch solenoid in the world, and it's located inside this modern-styled rugged enclosure.
The innovated "Dual-stop" 100% load holding brake design provides zero drag on cable in and is located inside the gearbox away from the drum to eliminate heat transfer to the synthetic rope.
A special steel drum is constructed with high tensile strength material to resist the unique loading characteristic of the optional synthetic 3/8" x 80' rope rated at 17,600 lbs ensures a safe pull.
There's an ergonomically shaped hand-held sealed remote with brilliant LED light for assisting in night-time winching.
The remote also meets the tough IP67 standard, which ensures water, mud, snow, and dust is kept out.

Looks very good indeed. Wouldn't mind having one of those mounted on a hitch "stud", and mount a sturdy hitch receiver up front. I like the idea of being able to back out of a situation as well.

He's getting old and forgetful! :lol:

I have a TDS large drum with a bow motor, it pulls and pulls, it will drag my 70 with wheels locked up hill with almost a full winch drum :shock:

Back