Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winch mounts

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
wonder if one of you gurus could help me ........

is there enough room on the top of the chassis rails to mount a winch.??

i've just had my bumper off and from what i can see there is!! ... but i'd be much happier if someone in the know knows better (or a better way to do the winch)

Ta muchly

You can get a Goodwinch tds 9.5 between the chassis rails on an LJ70 but there's not a lot of space to spare.

The rails are actually too narrow at the very front of the vehicle but widen about 150mm back to allow the winch to sit nicely.

I mounted mine on a piece of heavy plate and then bolted it to the captive nuts on the bottom of the chassis rails so the winch sits . It had to be raised up from underneath rather than put in from the front.

I've even got a couple of photos.

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

Thanks Richard.

i've got the goodwinch 9.5tds .. was hopeing to put it on the top of the rails ... but yours looks great under them :thumbup:

I put it between them to avoid having to cut the grill. I did rotate the freespool lever forward 90 degrees (not shown in the pics) so that I could operate it in the gap between the bumper and the winch. Also keeps the centre of gravity low for winching which is meant to be better.

Finished article, back when it was clean and painted.

IMG_5227.jpg

Cheers

Im in the progress of mounting my winch.

as I'm fitting a large drum tds with a up graded motor my winch has to sit slighty above the top of the chassis rail and i have trimmed the front panel.

I have trimmed and lifted the standard front bumper to give it the stealthy standard look also i've fitted some tow ball mounts for recovery points or pushing trialers around.

anyway how do i post pics on this forum?

Red your welcome to pop over and have a look of my winch

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
jeepmadmike said:
Im in the progress of mounting my winch.

as I'm fitting a large drum tds with a up graded motor my winch has to sit slighty above the top of the chassis rail and i have trimmed the front panel.

I have trimmed and lifted the standard front bumper to give it the stealthy standard look also i've fitted some tow ball mounts for recovery points or pushing trialers around.

anyway how do i post pics on this forum?

Red your welcome to pop over and have a look of my winch

www.photobucket.com for pics on the forum ....

i will take you up on that mate .... when?????

good question

im mega busy for the next couple of days but am having a week off next week so will be about most of the time

jeepmadmike said:
good question

im mega busy for the next couple of days but am having a week off next week so will be about most of the time

ok mate ... let us know when you're about ... i'll pm my mobile number to you :thumbup:

Richard Jackaman said:
You can get a Goodwinch tds 9.5 between the chassis rails on an LJ70 but there's not a lot of space to spare.

The rails are actually too narrow at the very front of the vehicle but widen about 150mm back to allow the winch to sit nicely.

I mounted mine on a piece of heavy plate and then bolted it to the captive nuts on the bottom of the chassis rails so the winch sits . It had to be raised up from underneath rather than put in from the front.

I've even got a couple of photos.

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

I would suggest you modify the mounting plate to incorporate strengthening lips on both front and back edges. You can also weld on an angled plate to protect the steering rod.

Roger

i made my winch tray from 6mm steel.

i measured the size i wanted and copied the angle for the rear piece using a sliding bevel.

i then went and saw my local metal fabricator who cut the sheet steel for me, and bent it for me. IIRC it cost me £30 cash. :thumbup:

it picks up about 12 threaded hols in the chassis, so is nice and strong.

01.jpg

02.jpg

after id trimmed it slightly i welded in some side pieces to increase strength and so i could utilise some of the threaded holes in the chassis.

03.jpg

04.jpg

next i trimmed out for the fair lead.

06.jpg

07.jpg

coat of red oxide primer.

08.jpg

all painted up and fitted along with a 12k winch.

09.jpg

not a good idea to have power constantly connected to the winch, so i installed a kill switch in the grill.

10.jpg

11.jpg

best get out and test it. :twisted:

12.jpg

very pleased with it, just needs a bumper now. :thumbup:

13.jpg

Red Oktober said:
Cheers Ben ..... very helpful :thumbup: :thumbup:

your welcome. :thumbup:

ive been meaning to put the pics up on a forum for a while, as i know before i designed and built mine i did a lot of searching on the net and couldnt find any pics or ideas on 70 series winch trays. :D

ben said:
Red Oktober said:
Cheers Ben ..... very helpful :thumbup: :thumbup:

your welcome. :thumbup:

ive been meaning to put the pics up on a forum for a while, as i know before i designed and built mine i did a lot of searching on the net and couldnt find any pics or ideas on 70 series winch trays. :D

want to hide my winch behind the stock bumper ... so i took the bumper/bars off to see what was what

was pleasantly suprised at how much space there was
SANY000610.jpg

SANY000213.jpg

thats what i thought when i removed my bumper for the first time.

toyota designed that space for a winch. thats why the chassis legs extend beyond the rad, and why there full of threaded holes. :D

Back