Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch problems - not free spooling or spooling out

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
I thought I would test the winch was working before taking it off to install the new ARB winch bar. There are 2 problems:

1. If I disengage the clutch I can't get it to free spool.

2. If I engage the clutch it will spool in using the control (there was a small amount of cable left out. now its all spooled in) but it won't spool out using the control.

i'll just also note that if I disengage the clutch and use the control the motor will spin up in the 'spool in' position but not in the 'spool out' position.

I have very little knowledge of winches. Any thoughts out there?

Cheers

Nick

I'd also just add that there is an audible click (like the sound of a solenoid engaging??) when I push the controller into the 'spool out' position, which presumable rules out a broken controller.

I know nothing either Nick, but I'd suspect the solenoid.

It sounds like it's activating, but if the contacts are burned, it won't power the motor.

I know nothing either Nick, but I'd suspect the solenoid.

It sounds like it's activating, but if the contacts are burned, it won't power the motor.
Mine was doing exactly the same. New solenoid fixed it. Mine is a struggle to freespool but think that's just the wire bunching. Uprated solenoid on ebay was about 40 quid

Nick I have a spare solenoid sitting here you can try. And a spare controller and a spare wired socket. Usually this is about dirty connections. Always happy to entertain you on the drive if you are passing. I fitted a winch to the Hilux this weekend so I have all the bits to hand.

Back