Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch remote to aerial up/down switch

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
I have an aerial up/down switch in the cab of my 90. I thought it would be nice to be able to operate the winch from inside the cab, plus with the winch mounted using one of J66p's mounts it is a little awkward getting the controller plugged in. I figure I could just leave it plugged in all the time and run it from the switch in the cab.
Do you think that it will just be a case of finding which terminals close and open as and when the buttons are pressed then wiring the controller cable to them. can't see there being much voltage involved as its only a signal, surely the winch has the necessary relays or whatever inside to turn that signal into enough power to run it.

Thanks
Chris

Those buttons will be controlling a couple of relays, not sure what the EWD will call them but it will mention antenna and relay ;) If you patch those to have power from the ignition instead of the radio you should then have relay switched outputs you can use for the winch control. I wouldn't go direct from the buttons, winch solenoids at a guess probably draw a couple of amps and the switches may not be designed to cope with that much current. I know it's been done on 80's and I thought about it on mine but to be honest a cheap remote control is much easier because you can hold it in your hand instead of having to reach out to the dash to keep the button pressed.

There are times that you really do NOT want to be inside when winching. My rear winch has the aerial gubbins wired inside the bridge. That's why I went with the TDS 9.5 i so that you don't have to find somewhere for the solenoid housing. You can also wire the aerial onto a plug and just stick that into the external socket.

Chris

The 'aerial gubbins' for mine is inside the solenoid box that's mounted on the motor :)

EDIT: seeing as you mention it Chris, do the bridged versions take the same solenoid pack inside the bridge? I thought about having bridged for the rear and wasn't sure I'd be able to swap some albrights in and then decided against anyway so didn't answer that question myself.

i used a electric window controller switch from a subaru i dismantled to control the winch from cab
its a rocker switch so moves back to off when you let go of it
but i also have wired remote and a socket on top of the winch solenoid and another on the front of the hidden winch mount
also got a isolator on the +ve feed to the winch, so that if i knocked the cab switch it wouldnt do anything unless the isolator key was inserted

Jon, I really have no idea. My best guess would be 'yes' they're the same. But ....

The bridged version is so much easier but bigger. Fitting a standard version would have been easier on the rear for me simply as it's a bit lighter.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris Green90 said:
I have an aerial up/down switch in the cab of my 90. I thought it would be nice to be able to operate the winch from inside the cab, plus with the winch mounted using one of J66p's mounts it is a little awkward getting the controller plugged in. I figure I could just leave it plugged in all the time and run it from the switch in the cab.

Chris

I have my solenoid mounted at the side of the headlight just under the bonnet so its easily acessilble then I run the remote flylead plug out to my front grille, job sorted.

You should be able to make the lug out on the picture below, its near the Nearside headlight on the grille 2 slats in

Picture655.jpg

I also have a wireless remote fitted and will be fitting controls in the cab in some spare switch blanks by my left kneee as I am sat in the drivers seat

I have winch controls on the inside, outside and can still plug the wander control in ;). I have only have one cutoff switch on the inside, could do with putting one on the out side aswell.

Paul

Back