Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winches

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
Following on from the Freeways Latitude group buy it is clear that those buying front bars will need a winch to stay legal. I am included in this group.

For the group buy thing to work we all need to pick a winch available from the same supplier. As per the suggestion in the other thread is everyone happy with Goldfish? If not what suggestions do people have?

Ian

Good work chaps
Should we be looking at hydraulic? or to many model variations

I know Andy at Ruf-Trax pretty well (as in the real Plasma 12 importer)- have done a variety of group orders for winch line from him in the past.

happy to do another one here and will pull in another forumk that i run too

last time we achieved a 35% saving over buying from Bowyers etc on a purchase of 6000ft of rope. (which was a couple of big drums)

oh and yes i would be interested in a Goldfish- best value winch to come a long for a good long time!

Not good timing, but I am going to need a rear winch at some point and it would be from Goodwinch I'm sure.

Chris

sigh, I'm in. Don't want to be illegal :hand:

As I am a noob at all things winch, I'll follow the crowd with brand, but size? Also dependant on cost. If 2x is twice the price of x then I will rather get a couple snatch blocks. :whistle:

From an ease of use point, I'll opt for electric and not hydraulic.

Ian - I thought you had a hydraulic one?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian said:
Should we be looking at hydraulic? or to many model variations
Goodwinch do have a hydraulic offering, I have not heard anything about it though. As long as it all comes from the same supplier I can not see a problem if everyone wants a different model.
pugwash said:
. . .last time we achieved a 35% saving over buying from Bowyers etc on a purchase of 6000ft of rope. (which was a couple of big drums)
That is certainly a saving worth having - thanks.
Chris said:
Not good timing
I do not know what Freeways stock level is like but there might be a delay while they sort the order.

Ian

Crispin said:
Ian - I thought you had a hydraulic one?
I do on the green car and that is staying. The red car does not have a winch.

Ian

The 9.5 Goldfish is a good unit. The back up from David is fantastic too. You'll never feel abandoned. the 12k winch is really more than you need. It is slower than the 9.5 and having used a 9.5 in real anger. Hopelessly stuck sort of stuff, it has never failed me. I have had two. Obviously one is still on Lil Blue. I went to see David and he showed me some test stuff that they had done with the 9.5. They currently have one fitted to their own white 80 series. I went for the 9.5i which has the electrics in the bridge over the top of the winch rather then a separate solenoid. If you have the room in the bumper, I would go for that design.
If you are so stuck that you can't get out with a 9.5 and a block then you probably won't get out with a 12k!! Don't park in quick drying cement.

I think that for the rear winch, I might have one of their Superwinches instead. Bit smaller and quite cheap already. It's all I need really.

Chris

I too might be interested in coming in on the group buy for a winch. I would be a hydraulic though. Had my mind set on a Mile Marker but depending on the brand you all opt for I'll check out their hydraulic offering.

I would have another Goodwinch TDS-12.0c (solenoid pack over the motor). I don't mind if we go for Dyneema upgrades at the same time or do a seperate deal for Plasma 12 as I'm happy with either.

Me too for a 12 ton Goldfish and Dyneema. I know it's overkill for a 120 self recovery but I may need to recover Jon in the Pyrenees

:) :) :)

Or an over-loaded LR110 thing (again). For the £50 or so more it's worth it. I'm not into winch challenges so not worried about speed.

I think Goodwinch also do hydraulic don't they?

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
For the £50 or so more it's worth it.

Is there a rough price list somewhere of what these things cost?

Prices are on the Goodwinch site Crispin. Go to their 'Webshop' in the side bar.

C

Shame he's not doing the same no VAT deal as last year :(

Adding the Dyneema rope at time of purchase is another £120 quid or thereabouts. Plus you get the steel rope with it. If you decide to go with a Plasma bundle in bulk, you'd need to factor in getting the aluminium hawes to replace the roller fairlead that comes with the Dyneema plus the hook and splice onto the end of the rope. You might be able to get the deal to include discount on the Dyneema bundle as well.

I have a spare new Dyneema and hawes so I don't need that.

C

Ah, I was looking at them earlier.

Here's the catalog for reference: http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/pdf/pr ... ummary.pdf

So from what I can see, a 9.5 comes with steel rope but for £125 extra, you can get a 100' of 10mm rope. Rope seems to be £175 if bought off the shelf.

Gary - As for separate solenoid or "built in one", have they (freeway latitude) given any hint in space behind? Would getting something like this leave us with a problem?

On that point, if you go for the Goldfish with the black box solenoid, I think that they will, if asked, supply extra cables to move the box. The original is hard wired in with copper bus bars. But with loose cable it can be moved wherever you like. I think Gav went down that route.

I got a remote with mine too as they do a show special sometimes and I dropped lucky that week. OK, it's not a Lodar, but it works fine.

Chris

Back