Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wind Turbines.

Have some friends living over the pond in Houston USA. Nightmare of a time as blackouts caused by 'frozen' wind turbines have meant days with no heating.
Nuclear needs to get back on the energy stage and kick out wind and solar..especially for large metropolis and cities.

Have some friends living over the pond in Houston USA. Nightmare of a time as blackouts caused by 'frozen' wind turbines have meant days with no heating.
Nuclear needs to get back on the energy stage and kick out wind and solar..especially for large metropolis and cities.
There is a great deal of interest in nuclear again.
Small modular reactors - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

If you look at projected population growth, power requirements, then add to that the timescale that's being called for on the elimination of fossil fuel power generation, some form of nuclear has to be considered IMO. As mentioned in above posts, wind turbines are expensive to install, to maintain and the unpredictability of the winds means their redundancy factor is just too high. OK for grid "top ups" maybe when the wind does blow but that's it. Tidal/sea power offers huge opportunities but is probably even more expensive, not just on instal but for maintenance. Solar power in the UK needs too much real estate, the farms would have to be huge and it's of limited use in Winter and no use at all at night. Enter Nuclear, also expensive to setup but offers virtually 100% reliable power when it's needed. JMO

Does the power from one turbine add up to enough to make a new turbine? If not we are still robbing the planet of power. Love to know the answer.

They make their money back in the first year.

Licencing for "onshore" wind turbines is now very strictly controlled.
ie, no more licences for onshore, only offshore.

I don't deny climate change ....as humans we have truly ruined our home but the rush to an all electric based world is short sighted at best .
Corruption and illegal logging , palm oil production , and treating our oceans as rubbish tips has far more impact on our planet than private vehicles .....
yep 100 % agree with that.All transport in the EU accounts for about 25 % of energy consumption IIRC. In 2018 & ,19 i worked away from home on a massive slaughterhouse that included the worlds 3 rd largest cold storage ( i think ) all so pork can be exported to China - 60 million euros worth a month.Unless this sort of madness stops no amount of "green energy " will help us.Most of these massive projects are about the bottom line , nothing else.

because the biggest threat to this planet is from an ever increasing population..
Its not the number per se . The richest 1% of the worlds population produce twice as much carbon as the poorest 50% .only 15 % of the worlds population live in the most developed countries but we account for 60 % of Global GDP &of course the emissions that go with that.

Does the power from one turbine add up to enough to make a new turbine? If not we are still robbing the planet of power. Love to know the answer.
Not sure about the KW needed to produce a turbine Frank but the carbon payback is between 6 and 9 months.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Renewables account for about 20% of electricity produced in Texas , wind is 16%.The false narrative that renewables have caused the power cuts is debunked here
The photo of wind turbine blades being buried is dramatic but 90% of whats used to build a turbine is recyclable.I wonder what the 250 000 tonnes of nuclear waste hanging about waiting for a solution would look like in a visual reprsentation ?

Far better than this;

d41586-018-07528-1_16294674.jpg

Again an emotional response because yes it looks crap , but most modern infrastructure does , including pylons.but why so many in the same place ? What about reducing consumption of electricity ? The climate crisis needs a response but not what governments & corporations propose.

What makes me so anti wind turbines is the fact they are often placed in areas of natural beauty where the skyline has remained the same for the history of mankind and then some numpty plants a load of windmills on the sky line .

Interesting that all the figures available seem to relate to the production of just the turbine....... not the carbon payback time for the transport and erecting of it in a remote area and the infrastructure needed ..... not to mention the environmental impact of the tracks etc on a fragile ecosystem .... it's hidden or ignored ..

Same with light pollution caused by huge housing developments and the cluttering up of space by the Bond villain like Musk bloke ......

My local council sent me a letter saying how they are "protecting our precious environment" and have declared a "climate emergency" yet at the same time allowed 3000 new houses in one green field ( ex dairy farm) development and are planning another 4000 house development within 7 miles of the first one ....
They and the politicians care nothing about the environment.... they do care however very much about making money ..

Again an emotional response because yes it looks crap , but most modern infrastructure does , including pylons.but why so many in the same place ? What about reducing consumption of electricity ? The climate crisis needs a response but not what governments & corporations propose.
how is it an emotional response? they aint sweet little puppy dogs, thats for sure. most modern infrastructure isnt dumped all over the countryside. in positions of high visual impact for obvious reasons. if they could be used in cities and towns i wouldnt give two hoots

most modern infrastructure isnt dumped all over the countryside. in positions of high visual impact for obvious reasons. if they could be used in cities and towns i wouldnt give two hoots
yeah they should be offshore or limited in size or numbers , i'm with you on that . HS2 & Sizewell C are not exactly respecting the countryside or natural beauty .This of course , we are told , essential ,the price of progress.There is a lot more detail to this than simply they look crap , ruining the view etc.

Interesting that all the figures available seem to relate to the production of just the turbine....... not the carbon payback time for the transport and erecting of it in a remote area and the infrastructure needed ..... not to mention the environmental impact of the tracks etc on a fragile ecosystem .... it's hidden or ignored ..
"
In 2006, turbine manufacturer Vestas studied the carbon payback period for various turbines. This took into account extraction and manufacturing of raw materials, production of the turbines, their transport, erection, operation, maintenance, dismantling and disposal, and the same for their foundation and the transmission grid. The figure was between seven and nine months, depending on the type of turbine. Other analyses have come up with similar figures.

Read more: What is the carbon payback period for a wind turbine? - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

My local council sent me a letter saying how they are "protecting our precious environment" and have declared a "climate emergency" yet at the same time allowed 3000 new houses in one green field ( ex dairy farm) development and are planning another 4000 house development within 7 miles of the first one ....
They and the politicians care nothing about the environment.... they do care however very much about making money ..
yeah busy protecting their own interests and using the climate crisis as an excuse to tax us more without addressing the underlying issues .No wonder folks are cynical about less polluting energy.

mate, it breaks my heart it really does. year after year yet more of the country side is eaten away. there is next to zero wilderness in england. iirc your never more than two miles from a road.
its not that we dont have enough houses, its we have too many people, and thats now, that was twenty years ago. i dread to think what will be left for my little boys kids.
we dont even build in a sensible way, we should be building up rather than out.

governments love young population increases by whatever means, its good for economic growth. a world where one species can only thrive by constant, and ever increasing growth on a small planet with finite resources and space is doomed to fail. more to the point we will bring everything else down with us..

other than a nuclear war or deadly pandemic i see only two ways this can change;

the rise of AI and near fully automated labour. both nearer than many may think.
huge progress in space exploration.

if we do manage to colonise another planet. hopefully it will be some where like mars where theres nothing to uck up.
most of the planets population should then be shipped out, leaving earth as a "nature planet" :D

Same boat as mine found a windfarm

View attachment 170546

This does raise the question..... how the hell even at night can you not see a bloody massive windmill sticking out the water.... and this appears to have been in the daytime with good vis ...

Pure stupidity autopilots are handy gadgets but never should they be used when theres something around to hit .

I guess its not generally understood that a fishing boat is a platform to work upon and there's not much time to take in the view . Here's the another sister ship

1613690946966.png

Couple of ton catch aboard unsecured in a slop she took a dive the catch moved and over she went near Ireland , months later it was washed up in the western isles

Last edited:

Most of Texas's electricity is from natural gas. Yes many turbines have stopped working in the cold. But the gas freezing up is a much larger issue for them.
Texas largely relies on natural gas for power. It wasn’t ready for the extreme cold. - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

governments love young population increases by whatever means, its good for economic growth. a world where one species can only thrive by constant, and ever increasing growth on a small planet with finite resources and space is doomed to fail. more to the point we will bring everything else down with us..

In the next 20 years population in England is predicted to grow by 15%.

In the same period 65-84 yr old numbers are predicted to grow by 39%.
Over 85s will grow by 106%

Population growth definitely is a challenge. It's not "young population" that is driving growth though.

Back