Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Window lift door switch

mettisse

Supporter
help please , my 80 series door switch got wet with a gob of snow falling on it, the result was ( even after drying it quickly) , was all switches worked but the drivers window switch worked for down but not for up, this happened whilst in the French alps a week ago, took the door card off and powered the the window up by “ Hotwire” so we could drive home . Took the doorswitch apart and it was full of verdigris and it was cleaned best I could but realised new switch was the answer. New one obtained and it didn’t fix the problem. With the new switch fitted, all other switches work, ( windows, central locking, windows lock) the drivers door window switch up or down now don’t work, any suggestions please, however simple, yes all fuses that I can find have been checked, all ok.
Thank you in advance, Bill Westley

Check for voltage at the plug to the window motor. You say you were able to lift the window, did it get reconnected properly? Trace the wiring back to the switch and look for damage. Test for voltage at the other end of the wires, each time operating the switch. Test back along the line until you get voltage. If it shows voltage straight away at the plug when disconnected from the motor, try with the motor connected.

Check for voltage at the plug to the window motor. You say you were able to lift the window, did it get reconnected properly? Trace the wiring back to the switch and look for damage. Test for voltage at the other end of the wires, each time operating the switch. Test back along the line until you get voltage. If it shows voltage straight away at the plug when disconnected from the motor, try with the motor connected.

Thank you, I took the door card off ( again) checked the plugs, found the problem very quickly, it was the plug I had taken apart to power up the window was not “ pushed home” easy fix but baffling nonetheless, and I felt I had been quite pedantic in putting it all back together, I bought the switch from the flea b , what a good service, good quality product, I paid £25 delivered, then I saw others for less. Ah well, it’s working, I’m happy, and thank you again for your suggestions , best regards to all, Bill Westley

Back