Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windscreen replacement/rust bug, advice on repair please

JimmyLJ71

I had a company out to replace my screen on Friday, brought the wrong one :oops: , i have now bought one myself from my local dealer and have arranged for a local firm to replace it tomorrow.

One thing that concerns me is i have peeled the existing rubber up at the bottom, where i thought was surface rust there appears to be rust holes, i now think i will get them just to remove it so that i can repair the damage.

Will it be ok to do with fibreglass/resin and filler?, or will i have to get it repaired in metal?

hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum. ;)

ive got a couple of rust spots below my wind screen but im hoping theyve not turned into holes yet. :pray:

you could scrape off the loose surface rust and then use rust killer, before then using fibre glass and filler and paint. would probably work well and last for the rest of the life of the vehicle, but......................

i know some people are of the opinion that the only way to treat/remove rust is to cut it all out and replace with new metal.

any chance we can see some pics of your truck please? :thumbup:

Many thanks
Pic of my truck, i have removed the rear seats and racked out the inside for overland trips.
Also have private plate "J 70LJ"
I will post some pics tomorrow of te dreaded rust bug, once i have the screen out.
DSCF0922.jpg

thanks, looks smart. :thumbup:

have you done any overland trips in it yet? what suspension lift has it got and what size tyres? :)

would be good to see some pics of the rust, might show me what i might be facing with mine. :)

Had a Suzuki Grand Vitara before

DSCF0664.jpg

Took that to the Pyrenees and Tunisia
This one i have taken to the Alps, should be going to Morocco next year.

Truck runs on OME shocks and springs, medium duty on the front, heavy duty on the rear, on 235/85/r16 Cooper STT, although i have had to remove them for the mo so i can get it into the garage.

Looks good Jimmy, great 70 series, I had the same problem when I popped out my windscreen for a respray, I went down the cut out and replace route just to be sure. Mines an 1988 and didn't have safety glass, managed to break the window and was picking up shards of glass for ages, a painful experience!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If i go for the cut out and replace route i will have to get someone else to do cos my welding isn't great.

Could i get a mobile welding person out to do it, or would it have to go to a workshop?

How much do you recon it would cost?

Recon i could do the re painting, not to bad at that

I had the windscreen removed today, rust not as bad as i thought it would be.

Apparently water collects in the bottom corners.

Cleaned up and treated today, given it the 1st coat of primer.

These pics are as found when the rubber was removed.

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1103-1.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF1100.jpg

Ouch :thumbdown: My opinion is that will need welding. I reckon fibreglass would be too difficult to get smooth enough/the right thickness/strong enough for the windscreen to seal too. Sorry dude.

Jim.

Jimmy, it looks similar to mine, I would agree that this would need welding, would be hard to treat and fix, a fair bit of force is applied to these areas when installing a windscreen and may not stand up to it. Think mine cost £50 to fix (w/o finishing and painting)

Many thanks for the advice.

I did in the end go for the p40 route, the stuff with all the glass fibres in, actually it looked worse than it was, there was a fair amount of strength left, the bit with the hole i shaped a special textured aluminium plate that allows the fibreglass to stick, now all done and windscreen fitted.

I have still got to touch in the body colour.

May i also recommend this company, there service and costs are excellent

http://www.jayswindscreens.co.uk/

Back