Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winter cooling system overhaul

Rich Sims

Garage
Friday I ftted a new 82 degrees thermostat as i found unless pulling my trailer around the 71 degrees stat was making my engine clog up by not running hot enough, i also fitted a new aisin viscous coupling and new water pump, the new cast bodied water pump has alot bigger high flow pump inside!

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/aisin-water-pump-with-cast-housing.html

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/aisin-viscous-fan-coupling-7436.html

I've also gone waterless by using Evens waterless coolant so we'll se how it goes.

engines running as it should around 84 even driving at speeds, just need to try it with my trailer on.

Few pics of parts and strip out

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Nice, I like the idea of a waterless system.

Admittedly, branded coolant is not cheap, but if the system is working well, then coolant loss should be minimal, year to year.

3 years ago, I had the top tank split on the 80's original rad. I replaced it with an OEM rad, new thermostat and some replacement hoses for good measure, not cheap but ever since I've not lost a drop. I check it regularly, but it's boring. The level is half way up the expansion tank, and the rad is full, every time.

I'm running on Mr. T coolant, and my service shop confirmed nothing to be done for this winter. We'll see how it goes. Often it's -20C here in January and February, so it will be tested.

The truck warms up quickly but never overheats. The viscous fan kicks in rarely, but does, when under heavy load.

Last edited:
I would like your opinion and update on the Evans coolant. I am looking into this as well for the future. UNTIL THEN I am following the Toyota specs with the pink coolant. Once I have the rad and hoses checked by someone who knows far more than me I will keep to Toyota specs. But Toyota suggests a flush as semi-regular service so maybe then. Once I know my system is ace then maybe spend the cash on the waterless coolant. Like to know if you are happy with it...

Last edited:
question: mine got hot over summer while pulling a trailer uphill on highway at 100km/h 5th gear, very moment I took foot from pedal temp needle dropped, which I found it very odd.but at no times I would hear that loud whoooosh sound it does soon after u start the truck.

Does this mean that the viscous coupling doesnt work properly?

Well that was an expensive litte operation!

Ive been running a 71 degree thermostat but as winter is coming fitted the standard toyota 82 deg stat well two weeks later after a bit of a mad rant down the motoway and temp only hitting 95deg I cracked another head!

Even after removing the air con rad from in front of the rad it still climbed to 95 easily on the way to the lincomb meet! Ffs.

So back down to the 71 stat and all is good again!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bummer that Rich must admit i had never heard of the waterless coolant before you mentioned it so looked it up and on reading it will show higher temps than normal coolant i did wonder about your changing the stat at the same time . Sorry i didn't mention it at the time as it might have saved you some grief :doh:

But would you have advised me not to put a standard 82deg stat in?

Not advised no , must admit i haven't followed your thread so only two comments sort of caught my attention and were logged . Somewhere along the line you said the lower stat was stopping the truck getting up to heat which gave me pause for thought , and then you mentioned waterless coolant which prompted a web browse which gave me the higher temp comment stated on the manufacturers own website . I was going to mention trying the new coolant with the lower stat might be something to consider but i guess i got distracted ?

My main problem is, is that running round on the lower stat is causing my engine to oil up and the oil to get shity because its not running hot enough to burn off all the impurities, even the two weeks is was running on the hotter stat it cleaned up and wasn't smelling oily any more and no exaust smoke.

Without trying to get the numbers right , it crossed my mind that if the waterless coolant adds 5 degrees of heat the 72 degree stat becomes a 77 and the 82 becomes an 87 at normal running temperature , add a trailer and those numbers can only climb .

question: mine got hot over summer while pulling a trailer uphill on highway at 100km/h 5th gear, very moment I took foot from pedal temp needle dropped, which I found it very odd.but at no times I would hear that loud whoooosh sound it does soon after u start the truck.

Does this mean that the viscous coupling doesnt work properly?

It could do. A roar or whoosh from the fan on startup is normal but should disappear quickly and re-appear when the engine's hot enough. I sometimes hear mine when towing the caravan up long hills at motorway speeds but I've never heard it when just running around town. Next time the engine temp goes up, stop the engine and see if the fan is locked or can be turned easily.

Not a waterless coolant but I used thishttp://www.engineice.com in a XR650 dirt bike years ago that was prone to overheat in traffic. Didn't stop the overheating completely, it just ran for longer before doing so did make a small difference compared to conventional water based coolant. The stuff I used was blue, not sure what the 'Pumpkin Spice"is all about.

Pretty unlucky considering you were trying to limit your overheating in the first place! I too was planning on getting a 72 degree stat and now I'm thinking that may be too low, although temps here are 25 degrees + 80% of the year. It would be really cool to have a electronically controlled stat that you could change on the run! :think:

I'm also intrigued how easily it overheated and cracked the head. I recently had my 1KZT-E hot. The needs was in the red for a while and the water in the system had emptied itself (burst hose due to my laziness). Anyway, my head had a tiny little crack in between but not all the way through like yours. However the head ended up badly warped. Surprisingly no coolant was being blown as the gasket was gone so badly it was throwing compression into the cylinders next door instead.

Back