Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wiper linkage

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
my windscreen wipers have been playing up on my LJ70 and now they dont work most of the time. :thumbdown:

theres defiantly power getting to the motor, and if i lift the wipers off the screen they do move, but theres a horrible grinding noise coming from the linkage below the scuttle panel.

so tonight i removed the bonnet and scuttle panel only to find that i still cant see or get to the wiper linkage. so im now thinking the only way to get to the linkage is to remove the dashboard and it must be behind that?

does anyone know how to remove/get to the linkage on a 70 series cruiser?

i think i just need to oil/grease my linkage :)

The motor is on the firewall but the linkage is under the dash

Or is it

Is it not under the louver panel at the back of the bonnet?

Its to dark to see for me at the moment

This how you remove the panel i refer to

wiper.jpg

Hope that helps

Looked at a few site and found this picture that shows a cab with the panel removed

020.jpg

thanks for the reply.

i removed my bonnet and that scuttle/louvre panel but still couldnt see or get to the linkage.

my LJ70 lookes a bit different to that 75 in that i hadnt got any holes/cut outs under the scuttle panel like it looks like that one has.

depending on how easy it is to remove the dash, i might just drill a couple of 30mm holes with a hole saw above the linkage. at least then i could get a spray of wd on the joints from time to time. :)

It is possible to remove the linkage after removing the top panel.

At least it is on the KZJ 70, so on the basis that they are the same, you need to proceed as follows.

This is all from memory and it's been a few years since I did it.

Remove the set screws that locate the small gearboxes.

Disconnect the wiring to the motor.

Remove the bolts that locate the motor.

Push the gearboxes into their respective holes and remove motor, gearboxes and linkages by pulling on motor towards the n/side.

Yes it's a fiddle but that's the way it's done. Replacement is the reverse.

Let me know what you find when you get it out.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Birder, the diagram above looks really useful, is it from a manual you can download?

bit of an update.

when i previously removed the bonnet and unscrewed the louvre panel between the windscreen and bonnet, i lifted the louvre panel up a bit and couldnt see any access holes, so i bolted it all back together. :roll:

so today i removed the bonnet and louvre panel completely after also removing the wiper arms.

PICT0254.jpg

PICT0255.jpg

this revealed 2 small plastic grills that un-clipped to reveal the linkage.

PICT0256.jpg

PICT0257.jpg

i then unbolted the 2 pivot bolts that hold the linkage in place and also removed the motor.

after removing the linkage i found the problem, one of the pivots was siezed solid, so i stripped it down cleaned it up with emery paper and then rebuilt it with plenty of grease.

PICT0259.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

PICT0266.jpg

so my wipers are now working perfectly. it didnt look like the wiper linkage had been removed before so hopefully it wont need doing again for another 130,000 miles. :thumbup:

For anyone else who needs to do this work, please note that you do not need to take the bonnet off.

Roger

Roger Fairclough said:
For anyone else who needs to do this work, please note that you do not need to take the bonnet off.

Roger

i found i couldnt get a screwdriver in to remove the screws that hold the louvre panel on as they were obstructed by the bonnet.

i suppose i could have used a right angle screw driver though, or possibly a stubby screw driver but theres not much room. :)

I found the above pictures & tutorial very helpful.

My passenger side wiper refused to work, I found the rear rivet (or spline) had come free. So i spot welded it and it is now as new.

A couple of things further to the tutorial.

I used a 1/4 ratchet drive to get the screws out under the bonnet. I just lifted the bonnet a bit higher to get the ratchet to fit.

When you pull off the wiper motor there is a 12mm nut holding the wiper arm on the motor. Remove the nut & give it a little tap to come off as its on a spline.

Cheers

Bungy

Back