Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wiper & Speedo Meter failure after heavy rains.

Alfie

Country Flag
png
Hi All,
I have a Troopy that has had its Wiper and Speedo Meter failed after a heavy rain. I lost the cover for my fuse box so I'm really in need where to start. I think it could be something to do with an open fuse or shorted wire somewhere but need specific directions where to check. The fact that both speedo and wiper had stopped both at the same time confuses me. Its a HZJ78R model.

Could someone kindly assist me please.

Thanks all for your help in advance.

Hi Alf, have you had any water getting in through the windscreen at all? Also, if you've lost the cover to your fusebox is this the one inside or under the bonnet (if you have two, I don't know the troopies)? In any case check for corrosion around the fuses, pull each one in turn and inspect it and test it's not blown using a multimeter set to ohms or continuity.

Try and see where water may be getting in. On the speedo, does the odometer still turn over or is the whole thing dead? If yes then the fault is within the speedo, there's a thread on here of mine on the repair for the 80 series one, yours may be the same.

Good luck with it.
Rich.

Hi Rich and thanks for replying.
First of all no water coming in through the windscreen at all. The fuse holder i was referring to was the one inside just beside the paddles. Will check all fuses as suggested.

With regards to the Speed meter , its completely dead . Doesn't move at all.

Thanks

Sounds like it could possibly be a bad Earth somewhere. As I don't know the truck I can't say where but would probably be under the dash. Could also be wiring damage. Has there been any work done recently, or even not so recently, stereo change for instance, alarm installed, that sort of thing?

Yes. The battery was removed to power up another cruiser , put back incorrectly which resulted in the alternator cable spanning of.

I re-terminated the wire on to the Negative Terminal (where it was originally) and all was working fine for a few days till this heavy rain we had.

Thanks
Alfie

:scared-eek: You did what!!

How exactly was the battery put back incorrectly?
Please explain the term 'spanning of' as I'm not familiar with it (typo?)
Are there one or two batteries on your troopy?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sorry that was a typo.It was supposed to be read as "snapping of" . The troopy has one battery only and when it was put back, it was put back correctly except at a slight angle. While driving it slipped abit and caused the cable (Alternator) to snap.

Ok, thought so. I was worried you might have more nasties lurking. Its probably a good idea to test the charging voltage as the cable coming off could have caused the alternator to spike and could have damaged the regulator. This may have some knock on effects if it is too high. Should be 14.4v max.

Hi,
I have a 75 series.
The rear axle shaft R/H keeps breaking when travelling uphill.
Can some one tell me why this is happrning.

Thanks,
Michael.

Hi,
I have a 75 series.
The rear axle shaft R/H keeps breaking when travelling uphill.
Can some one tell me why this is happrning.

Thanks,
Michael.
Michael, it's not a good idea posting unrelated questions in someone else's thread as nobody will see it. You're far better off posting a new thread, with some more details in the 70 series section and give it a specific title. Just before you do, pop over to the 'introduce yourself' section and tell us a bit about you and your cruiser, we're a friendly bunch on here and there's lots of members who can help. We just like to get to know new folk and their trucks and offer a warm welcome. :)

Back