Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wired battery up wrong!

Rocketdog

Country Flag
england
My battery was flat and i replaced it with a n old battery from my rv. The terminals were the other way round and i ended up carelessly connecting them the wrong way round. there was a bit of smoke from the cables going which should have been going to the positive side of the battery. I quickly disconnected. After connecting correctly it wouldn't start. It turned over fine, but didn't fire. Headlights not working now either. Everything else seems fine. Ive checked all the fuses. They're all ok.
What have i done and where should i check(hidden fuses)?
Is there a fuel pump relay?

My battery was flat and i replaced it with a n old battery from my rv. The terminals were the other way round and i ended up carelessly connecting them the wrong way round. there was a bit of smoke from the cables going which should have been going to the positive side of the battery. I quickly disconnected. After connecting correctly it wouldn't start. It turned over fine, but didn't fire. Headlights not working now either. Everything else seems fine. Ive checked all the fuses. They're all ok.
What have i done and where should i check(hidden fuses)?
Is there a fuel pump relay?

It’s hard to imagine how you did this, AFAIK, the posts are different sizes so it would be difficult to wire it the wrong way.

Anyway, not to disbelieve you, my guess is you’ve blown a fusable link, not necessarily a fuse, they’re big fellas, mounted in-line on the big main battery cables.

I’m no lectrician by any means, so maybe @StarCruiser or others could better advise you...

If the smoke was in the vicinity of the battery terminals then it could be a fusible link as Clive suggests. If it’s a diesel with two batteries and 24v starter you effectively shorted them out although they are not directly connected via a fusible link.

I did similar while fitting my first winch and fried my stainless braid brake lines which i guess were the shortest route to ground so maybe you melted some earth wires ?

It’s hard to imagine how you did this, AFAIK, the posts are different sizes so it would be difficult to wire it the wrong way.

Anyway, not to disbelieve you, my guess is you’ve blown a fusable link, not necessarily a fuse, they’re big fellas, mounted in-line on the big main battery cables.

I’m no lectrician by any means, so maybe @StarCruiser or others could better advise you...
Thanks Clive. I might have spotted it. Lets hope that's all it is. I never knew! Never done it before.

If the smoke was in the vicinity of the battery terminals then it could be a fusible link as Clive suggests. If it’s a diesel with two batteries and 24v starter you effectively shorted them out although they are not directly connected via a fusible link.
Thanks Towpack. On it tomorrow.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clive and Towpack have beaten me to it. Yes, it’s likely to be a fusible link. The fusible links are connected between the RH (from the driver’s perspective) battery terminal and small black blocks which contain one or two bolts. There is also one from the battery changeover solenoid near the fuel filter. Disconnect them at the battery terminal bolt so they are only connected one end and test across them with a multimeter set to Ohms. Sometimes they completely fall to pieces in which case the blown one(s) will be obvious. You will need to replace it with the same value fusible link which may be by colour code. It’s not possible to collect up all the smoke that has escaped and put it back in I’m afraid. Don’t be tempted to bridge it out except for a minute or two to check it is the problem.

You can also fit a fuse holder instead if you’re unable to get hold of a fusible link but the values aren’t known so some investigation would be needed. The fusible link may just be the start of your problems but fingers crossed you’ve got away with it.

Let us know how you get on.

Clive and Towpack have beaten me to it. Yes, it’s likely to be a fusible link. The fusible links are connected between the RH (from the driver’s perspective) battery terminal and small black blocks which contain one or two bolts. There is also one from the battery changeover solenoid near the fuel filter. Disconnect them at the battery terminal bolt so they are only connected one end and test across them with a multimeter set to Ohms. Sometimes they completely fall to pieces in which case the blown one(s) will be obvious. You will need to replace it with the same value fusible link which may be by colour code. It’s not possible to collect up all the smoke that has escaped and put it back in I’m afraid. Don’t be tempted to bridge it out except for a minute or two to check it is the problem.

You can also fit a fuse holder instead if you’re unable to get hold of a fusible link but the values aren’t known so some investigation would be needed. The fusible link may just be the start of your problems but fingers crossed you’ve got away with it.

Thanks Starcruiser. The link by the battery has blown and now have one on order. I couldn’t find the other one you mention. I have only on battery on my cruiser, so maybe I don’t have another?

Thanks Starcruiser. I did just that and yes the fusable link by the battery has blown. and the smoke well gone(hehe). i couldn't find the other one you were talking about. My cruiser only has one battery.

I did similar while fitting my first winch and fried my stainless braid brake lines which i guess were the shortest route to ground so maybe you melted some earth wires ?
Thanks for you input Shayne. Made me feel better.

I replaced the fusable links and most everything works fine now except the abs? Any ideas there?

Might be the ABS fuse has blown. Under the bonnet, passenger side.

Back