Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wobbly wiper.

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
IMG_1246.JPG
Changed my wipers and worked out why they click. They hit the bonnet on the down sweep. Seems a lot of movement where they attach to the spindle. Any ideas what's wrong here? For now I've fabricated a nearly invisible fix with duct tape and foam.

Assuming you have not had the arms off the spindles or the motor disconnected recently, then the carriage is starting to wear.

Temporary fix is pull the wiper arms off and rotate it slightly away from the direction of contact and refit.

regards

Dave

Assuming you have not had the arms off the spindles or the motor disconnected recently, then the carriage is starting to wear.

Temporary fix is pull the wiper arms off and rotate it slightly away from the direction of contact and refit.

regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. I did try that today, but I think I need another go with a bigger lever!

They do get jammed on there good and tight, there is a puller available, though I have just rocked them to and fro and they come off.

regards

Dave

Sneaky EDIT

Last edited:
They do get jammed on there good and tight, there is a puller available, though I have just rocked them to and fro and they come off.
regards
Dad

Hi Dad :lol:

Yep, they need a bit of "working" sometimes. In fact, even though I'd had mine off in the previous 7 years, when I came to remove them for the re-spray a few years ago, I broke them both :doh:

With the nut removed, a prolonged rocking action with plenty of release oil should shift them, I was too impatient I think...

There can be a lot of play in the arms themselves. That pin where the rust is wears together with the hole it goes through. Mine were getting a bit wayward and I replaced the arms. It cut about 4 inches of play out at the far end of the wiper blade itself.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back