Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Work Woes

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
OK so I’m employed, can’t grumble about that and I love my job.

I guess there’s far worse stories out there, but I was told today I’m wanted urgently in Montreal, for 3 weeks on, 1 week at home off then another 3 weeks in Montreal.

Wife and kid aren’t happy, I fly Tuesday. :?

That’s a point, Shayne...

Wot you doin’ up this late anyway, it’s past your bedtime!

You’re up at 5:30, you’ll meet yourself on the stairs, at this rate! :lol:

Fell asleep on the sofa at 9pm and woke at midnight its a rare thing that , the pita is i will likely have to wait until tomorrow night to go to sleep now :icon-rolleyes:

Trouble is i don't do anything i consider work any more so i don't get tired , theres something you have to look forward to in your retirement because i think your as bad as me sometimes , how many times have i got up in the morning to wake you at your work station :eusa-naughty:

Last edited:
Clive,I guess it will be cold in Canada so wrap yourself up well and let's hope you enjoy it.cheers Pat

I've not visited Montreal but Canada is great! The people there are very friendly too. Mind you it's the French bit so I don't know. It'll be cold but should be a dry cold. If you want good quality outdoor clothing it's the place to get it. We had our honeymoon in Canada and want to go back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you want to swap Canada for Luanda in Angola ?
I'm off there is 3 weeks, for a 11 day trip, got the vaccines this week
Was last there in 2005

At least we get a 35% salary uplift for the days there, as long as you are in country for at least 7 days.

Enjoy Canada, will be getting colder. Back home for a week in between, you will have just recovered from jet lag before flying back ..

The jet lag on the outward journey is not bad, my folks say stay awake til 10pm then sleep. On the way back it's a different story as AC says. I slept as soon as I got home but I think it might be better to stay awake til 10 again.

Clive the down side is family at home the upside is if you have time off hire a 4x4 and you get to drive Canada and then post pictures of where you have been and then we can all be jealous anyway best wishes to your family and hope you get to enjoy your work placement

Clive the down side is family at home the upside is if you have time off hire a 4x4 and you get to drive Canada and then post pictures of where you have been and then we can all be jealous anyway best wishes to your family and hope you get to enjoy your work placement
This ran through my head until I realised you would probably have no time. It may be worthwhile making some time at the end of it and extending, flying Ana and Aura out and having a Pre Christmas break. Maybe there's a deal to be done with your work there? Just a thought. :)

I can identify with that travel bit. Have 500k airmiles to show for it (in 4 yrs, but trying really hard to slow down. Done 40k this year and i think its enough).

Montreal is a sleepy town. Hopefully their big dig is done, or you are looking at hrs of commute time (stay close to workplace). Half the city was dugup for some roadworks when I was there in Feb this year.

Get a nice tundra hired out and get off the beaten track if you can.

OK so I’m employed, can’t grumble about that and I love my job.

I guess there’s far worse stories out there, but I was told today I’m wanted urgently in Montreal, for 3 weeks on, 1 week at home off then another 3 weeks in Montreal.

Wife and kid aren’t happy, I fly Tuesday. :?
Montreal? Oh dear, I was there once many years ago, funny people, more French than the French.
F'rinstance, I was in a shop and they professed to not understand English, would only talk to me in French, wasn't there long though I was on my way to Toronto, much more civilised people there.

Montreal? Oh dear, I was there once many years ago, funny people, more French than the French.
F'rinstance, I was in a shop and they professed to not understand English, would only talk to me in French, wasn't there long though I was on my way to Toronto, much more civilised people there.
I think that's just the French Chas. We've had that in France. Toronto is very friendly.

I think that's just the French Chas. We've had that in France. Toronto is very friendly.
Yes, I had a great time in Toronto, it was just the Quebecians that thought they were French not Canadian.

Clive,I guess it will be cold in Canada so wrap yourself up well and let's hope you enjoy it.cheers Pat

Hi Pat, well cold is a bit relative. As I’m typing, it’s early evening and 6C, and temps through the last 24 hours have ranged between 2 & 7 degrees.

Montreal is currently 17C at mid-day, and range between 12 & 18 degrees in the last 24 hours, so I don’t think there’ll be such a shock to the system :lol:

Do you want to swap Canada for Luanda in Angola ?
I'm off there is 3 weeks, for a 11 day trip, got the vaccines this week
Was last there in 2005

At least we get a 35% salary uplift for the days there, as long as you are in country for at least 7 days.

Enjoy Canada, will be getting colder. Back home for a week in between, you will have just recovered from jet lag before flying back ..

Indeed not Andy, Luanda in Angola is not appealing to me, whatever the salary uplift might be. Although that depends on what you’ll be doing there, I guess.

I know my fate in Montreal, it will be sat in a Site office, somewhere out of the main bustle of the town/city (I imagine) doing an 8 till 8 stint every day, probably including Saturdays. Looks like I’ll get Sundays off, but what I can do in that one day remains to be seen.

I’ll probably have access to a car, but it’s unlikely to be a 4x4, but it may get me out and about a bit, if I’m not too tired to stay awake.

I don’t speak any French, so the locals can do whatever they want, well either understand each other or we won’t. I don’t care really :lol:

If folks are friendly, then communication comes naturally and it’s fun, otherwise, if they’re not so friendly, I won’t want to be talking to them anyway.

It’s the effect on the family that does put the dampers on any of the excitement that can be had traveling and seeing other places.

Aura works full-time and Ana’s in school all day, so it’s hard to just scoop them up on an intercontinental trip, at short notice.

As Rich suggested, maybe they could fly out at the end of my last week there, but that week is the Pre-Christmas week, and really Aura wants that to prepare the house for all the family to come to and stay for 12 Days :icon-eek:.

I’ve been lucky in some respects, the week I have back here coincides with Auras birthday on 20th, so that was a relief :lol:.

We’ll be fine, but 3 weeks beats the longest spell away from home so far, and to think of two of them on the trot, is a bit daunting. I’m a typical Cancerian (although I think astrology is all tosh) so I don’t get much of a buzz being away from home & family.

At least Canada is reasonably civilized :icon-wink:

3hrs flight to CDG Paris, 3 hrs transfer, then 9 odd hrs to YMQ Montreal. That’s a long time without a ciggy, mind...

I can identify with that travel bit. Have 500k airmiles to show for it (in 4 yrs, but trying really hard to slow down. Done 40k this year and i think its enough).

Montreal is a sleepy town. Hopefully their big dig is done, or you are looking at hrs of commute time (stay close to workplace). Half the city was dugup for some roadworks when I was there in Feb this year.

Get a nice tundra hired out and get off the beaten track if you can.

I’ve been lucky really so far, my overseas projects have been reasonably close to home, the most frequent being Istanbul which is only a 1hr flight, and the furthest has been Qatar/Oman/Abu Dhabi, on occasions.

This is the first (and last I hope) long-haul, and my boss knows I don’t want to go, I’m doing him a favour really, but the alternative (saying no) wouldn’t have gone down very well at all. :shifty:

If there’s any chance of a hire truck and getting away from the site for a day, then I’ll jump at it.

I was stuck I now Montreal for a daY once, it was -20 !! I was on my way to work in the Chevron office in St Johns, Newfoundland and a storm meant my connecting flight was cancelled
So hope you don't get -20 itmwas bitter, but I a man sure it gets that cold in Romania too

Going to our chevron office in Luanda for this trip, hotel is right next door, won't see much of the place

Do you do face time Clive ? good way of keeping in touch with the family.

Back