Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Workshop treats.

Was in travis perkins the other day and one of these caught my eye. I already have one of the larger ones in the workshop.
Originally got it to keep in the centre console of the 80 as its compact and USB charge.
It's found its way into the workshop thought, as it fits nicely in your pocket and the "torch" LED on top of the unit sends a more directional light which is great for those nooks and crannies.

I'll get another one for the 80 as its looks like this one is staying here.
IMG_20191023_172444.jpg

This came off the shelf again today.
You think it would never work, but it does and very well.
The staples are stainless, you press the trigger and they heat up, press them into the plastic and twist. Forms a very strong repair.
Cut the excess off and away you go.
IMG_20191120_152037.jpg

IMG_20191120_152053.jpg

Could of been a Christmas present, but just turned up now.

Like a lot of us I've had the online manuals for years, but get a bit fed up of staring at a screen...

IMG_20210108_124147.jpg

Should have the FT manual shortly.

Right, spat the dummy out a few weeks ago now with what seems to be a constant grease gun shambles.

Slat one across the workshop. Looked at the others hanging on the wall with utter disdain...

This showed up today. Part birthday present.

Bargain at £160 all in from the US,
Bare unit.

IMG_20210406_171533.jpg

Wow. Another one of them "should of got one years ago" buys.

Last edited:
I want one of these soooo badly... greasing UJs while lying under the truck usually leads to a cramp somewhere....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed ...
Got the Milwaukee version and it's great .... one day I serviced 5 big 360's and had put 8 grease carts through my pistol grip grease gun ....hadn't had arm pump like it since I sold my Honda CR500 ;-)
I run a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee as some things are better from one maker than the other and both seem as durable and nothing to choose between battery life of equivalent amps .

Wow. Another one of them "should of got one years ago" buys.

Is that a shoulder strap :icon-surprised: - that should look really cool :laughing-rolling:.

I was greasing the farm's JCB 8052 again the other day - with my old hand grease gun; I could have done with that.

Bob.

I took the plunge and bought this on e-bay recently; then said to my wife "I've got my Birthday present from you" (= shorthand for "So don't go buying anything else!"):

She has no idea what it is and has refused to wrap it :lol: .

Its a 12" Pratt/Burnard 4-jaw independent chuck with the D1-6 Camlock mount - The missing bit from my 50" Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe.

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0022.JPG

I'm planning on making a gantry system to take a chain hoist so that I can swap the chucks. This one isn't too bad but the 16" 4-jaw weighs 65 Kilos and I'm no longer up to lifting it. Also the 21" Face Plate is a bit of a beast as well (its a gap-bed lathe that will take 23.5" dia swing).

Boys toys :doh:.

Bob.

I bought the same chuck last year for the Coventry that we had at work. I had to do quite a bit of work on the lathe. It was pretty neglected. Needed all the oils and belts changing, the coolant pump was disgusting and needed a lot of flushing. The lead screw was also bent at the far end, but I never got around to that. It worked OK pretty much but was never going to look like yours Bob. It did have a functioning DRO though.

It worked OK pretty much but was never going to look like yours Bob. It did have a functioning DRO though.

Mine was a mess when I bought it (I only paid £1,100 for it). I have had to rebuild the gearbox and apron which entailed making some new shafts and I have made new Cross-slide, Top-slide and Tailstock screws and nuts. There is virtually no backlash on these now.

The whole lathe was full of encrusted swarf, the belts (5 of them) were toast and I re-built the 7.5Hp 3-phase motor. Everything has been cleaned and painted with the tinware powder-coated. I have spent a lot on e-Bay purchases (fixed steady, travelling steady, T2 tool holders, various chucks and that backplate and, of course, more lathe tooling).

The first thing one requires when buying an old lathe is . . . Another lathe (and a Mill) :doh:. I now have three lathes.

BUT . . . I haven't been able to run it yet. I have 3 phases delivered to the house and a new 3-phase system leading to the outbuilding but I'm missing two things:

1. Grey phase isn't live (I use brown & black in the house).
2. I need a 3-phase meter in place of the two single-phase meters I have.

I have been pestering Scottish Power since September 2019 but with 6-months of prevarication followed by lockdown its a no-show from them.

ITS VERY FRUSTRATING :angry-screaming:

I'm also interested in a local Bridgeport Mill - which will also require 3-phase.

Grrrrrrr.

A DRO is on the wish list :icon-wink:.

Milling splines on the new cross-slide ACME screw:

DSCN9468.JPG

Despite having the wide table option - I had to add an extension for the rotary table:

DSCN9470.JPG

It all worked rather well (slowly & carefully):

DSCN9476.JPG

It took me a year to restore this 1977 lathe.

Bob.

Is that a shoulder strap :icon-surprised: - that should look really cool :laughing-rolling:.

I was greasing the farm's JCB 8052 again the other day - with my old hand grease gun; I could have done with that.

Bob.
the strap is pretty useful.

does it look cool?

no..

I took the plunge and bought this on e-bay recently; then said to my wife "I've got my Birthday present from you" (= shorthand for "So don't go buying anything else!"):

She has no idea what it is and has refused to wrap it :lol: .

Its a 12" Pratt/Burnard 4-jaw independent chuck with the D1-6 Camlock mount - The missing bit from my 50" Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe.

View attachment 171273

View attachment 171274

I'm planning on making a gantry system to take a chain hoist so that I can swap the chucks. This one isn't too bad but the 16" 4-jaw weighs 65 Kilos and I'm no longer up to lifting it. Also the 21" Face Plate is a bit of a beast as well (its a gap-bed lathe that will take 23.5" dia swing).

Boys toys :doh:.

Bob.
boom!

theres the workshop treat for the year right there!

sold this today, a slightly different vintage to yours..

IMG_20210407_102439.jpg

Oh Yes - An American South Bend, but from which year (early 1940s ??).

That's a great restoration project, I hope the new owner does it justice.

Bob.

Yes, from the 40s Bob.

Came out of a college in Manchester.

Yes, it would be nice if it went to a good home.

Back