Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Workshop treats.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Post your new workshop acquisitions here.

Had these a couple of weeks now after my milwaukee that I had given to me packed in.

Pretty good value as bare units as I already have the batteries.
IMG_20190524_134504.jpg

Umm I would recommend the reverse! The DeWalt doesn't pack as much as it says on the tin and the Milwaukee (M18Fuel) does better, although its rated lower. What happened theMilwaukee as they are very serviceable. I did have to fit a new trigger to mine at one point but it came with a new clamshell so was pretty happy to have that. I also replaced 3 cells in one of the batteries but I can still get a day out of it.

Still the Dewalt was my second choice but I like the Milwaukee battery culture so went that way in the end.

Not my money but new test box with multiple connection options and overlays. Makes my life easier.
Even comes in a big case.

20190508_105458.jpg

Last thing I bought was a new lead set for my multi meter, kept getting poor volt drop readings.

I like the dewalt stuff my 1/2 inch impact is 18v dewalt.
Rest of my battery stuff is snap on tbh, share batteries and plenty of power, can get bare units too which keeps cost down when expanding.

Not my money but new test box with multiple connection options and overlays. Makes my life easier.

View attachment 156419

Last thing I bought was a new lead set for my multi meter, kept getting poor volt drop readings.

Rest of my battery stuff is snap on tbh, share batteries and plenty of power, can get bare units too which keeps cost down when expanding.
That box of tricks looks expensive Gary, and even after your description I have no idea what it does!

Trouble with impact drivers, great as they are, they become a bit addictive. Sometimes you just know you should be using a spanner or ratchet...

Last year I had to do some heavy drilling through foundations in No.2 daughter's house - putting in electrical conduit and so on. My old SDS drill decided that it had had enough and wasn't producing much grunt :icon-rolleyes: . . So I went out and bought a new one:

DSCN8823.jpg

This is a fairly standard "SDS Plus" breaker/drill from Screwfix and it has been very good.

This year I have to dig out the clay under a very large tree stump. The tree has been growing in hard clay for 250 years or so and the Farm's 5-ton JCB (an 8052) wouldn't break it free - and neither would their Merlo Telehandler (3.5 ton lift).

I had a plan :think:.

I bought a 400mm SDS spade bit on eBay . . . but it didn't fit. Investigation showed that there is an "SDS MAX" range that has 18mm tool shanks instead of the usual SDS Plus's 10mm. Thinks . . . I want one of those.

I was lucky to find this for £75. The shop was selling off its stock prior to new stuff coming in. Brand new with 2-year warranty :thumbup::

DSCN8824.jpg

There's not much difference in size (the smaller one is nearer the camera which distorts the scale), but the big one is a Beast - I love it.

DSCN8825.jpg

The plan involves digging a hole under the tree stump, to the centre . . . . . .

DSCN8828.jpg

And then jacking it up to break it free from the clay with this new toy :cool: :

DSCN8827.jpg
It weighs 35 Kilos, but it isn't enormous:

The hole needs to be 'adjusted' to take the 14" high jack on its ply base and then the fun will begin.

hopefully, once the stump is loose one of the farm's machines can drag it out. We shall see :whistle:.

I could have got someone in with a much bigger digger but it would have chewed up my garden and I would rather spend the money on tools and get the satisfaction of doing the job myself. Yes, I do get into some scrapes :lol:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That box of tricks looks expensive Gary, and even after your description I have no idea what it does!

Trouble with impact drivers, great as they are, they become a bit addictive. Sometimes you just know you should be using a spanner or ratchet...

It's for connecting/branching into electrical systems, can test with the circuit complete, change the overlay for different pin numbers and connector lay outs. Need specific leads for the on car connection (eg engine management which can have 6 plugs with upto 54 pins each)
Better then probing into a plug connector especially with how small the pins are.

Use an oscilloscope quite a bit for CAN networks which goes hand in hand with this. Takes a couple of minutes to set up.

My apprentice isn't allowed to use impact tools, its manual tools for him until he learns how things should feel, it's too easy to just buzz something up.

He cant even drill a hole straight so has a task this week, I've 'broken' some bolts into a bit wood, his job is to drill them out Haha, they're not all at the same angle either but isn't allowed to move the wood in the vice!
He'll learn one way or another hahaha

what is battery culture?

All the old batterys fit the brand new tools and vice versa. They use the same battery design throughout so its nice to know all the future tools will be compatible so long as they remain at 18v

View attachment 156419

Good old breakout box. Not the most compact one I've seen but at least you wont need to carry a stool around. Apologies, should have said chair.

Good old breakout box. Not the most compact one I've seen but at least you wont need to carry a stool around. Apologies, should have said chair.

Yeah it's a fair size, do have smaller ones but can connect any of our leads into this rather then finding them all.
No Landcruiser leads though Haha

Delphi diagnostic machine and auto data for those home projects, as just about everything these days needs resetting

It's for connecting/branching into electrical systems, can test with the circuit complete, change the overlay for different pin numbers and connector lay outs. Need specific leads for the on car connection (eg engine management which can have 6 plugs with upto 54 pins each)
Better then probing into a plug connector especially with how small the pins are.

Use an oscilloscope quite a bit for CAN networks which goes hand in hand with this. Takes a couple of minutes to set up.

My apprentice isn't allowed to use impact tools, its manual tools for him until he learns how things should feel, it's too easy to just buzz something up.

He cant even drill a hole straight so has a task this week, I've 'broken' some bolts into a bit wood, his job is to drill them out Haha, they're not all at the same angle either but isn't allowed to move the wood in the vice!
He'll learn one way or another hahaha
Nice that your putting the time in with the apprentice, we used to do similar, making sure they could cut square with a handsaw before moving on to the chop saw.

Last year I had to do some heavy drilling through foundations in No.2 daughter's house - putting in electrical conduit and so on. My old SDS drill decided that it had had enough and wasn't producing much grunt :icon-rolleyes: . . So I went out and bought a new one:

View attachment 156471

This is a fairly standard "SDS Plus" breaker/drill from Screwfix and it has been very good.

This year I have to dig out the clay under a very large tree stump. The tree has been growing in hard clay for 250 years or so and the Farm's 5-ton JCB (an 8052) wouldn't break it free - and neither would their Merlo Telehandler (3.5 ton lift).

I had a plan :think:.

I bought a 400mm SDS spade bit on eBay . . . but it didn't fit. Investigation showed that there is an "SDS MAX" range that has 18mm tool shanks instead of the usual SDS Plus's 10mm. Thinks . . . I want one of those.

I was lucky to find this for £75. The shop was selling off its stock prior to new stuff coming in. Brand new with 2-year warranty :thumbup::

View attachment 156472

There's not much difference in size (the smaller one is nearer the camera which distorts the scale), but the big one is a Beast - I love it.

View attachment 156473

The plan involves digging a hole under the tree stump, to the centre . . . . . .

View attachment 156474

And then jacking it up to break it free from the clay with this new toy :cool: :

View attachment 156476
It weighs 35 Kilos, but it isn't enormous:

The hole needs to be 'adjusted' to take the 14" high jack on its ply base and then the fun will begin.

hopefully, once the stump is loose one of the farm's machines can drag it out. We shall see :whistle:.

I could have got someone in with a much bigger digger but it would have chewed up my garden and I would rather spend the money on tools and get the satisfaction of doing the job myself. Yes, I do get into some scrapes :lol:.

Bob.
I do like you shenanigans bob. I seem to get into similar situations myself..

Very nice set Nick. I got spanners for my birthday this year too.. they are imperial, and non-ratchet mind. They do have lifetime warranty though

I have a bit of a tool obsession and could post a few pictures here.

I know the feeling (it must be those long Scottish Winters :whistle:).

I also have a Milwaukee 18v Rattle Gun - its a superb tool. I was trying to get a large rusty mounting bolt out of the Amazon's front diff mounting - heat, oil, 24" power bar, lots of grunting but no joy.

In desperation I tried the Milwaukee and out it popped . . Amazing :thumbup:.

My cheap air rattle gun is pathetic :thumbdown:.

Bob.

I have the 18v milwaukee gun at work it's awesome, will undo a truck wheel nut as long as its not extremely rusty!

Back