Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Worth getting a 120, and if so which one?

oohhh this thread is good timing. Currently looking for a second 120. Thinking either LC3 or LC4. Budget 6k. Can anyone confirm any differences in terms of electrical complexities between the two (traction control etc)? I know the trim is different (lc4 seems to get a sunroof and leather as standard) but are there any differences in terms of stuff that would make it difficult to upgrade the running gear

Clean water is no problem. Mine has an inch of mud stuck to it within 20 minutes of jet washing it clean. I think that does the damage. They do rust, and so do the 90s (and 100s). You just need to buy a decent one, jet wash underneath it most weekends in the winter, and put aside a day or two [1] every year to clean, rust treat and repaint all you can underneath.
Now I'm feeling guilty about not doing all that for my Defender!

Dan

It may seem a basic point but in order to check the spec on your 120, the easiest way is to open the glove box and it's written on the upper lip.

As our Toyota has been extremely reliable - it is now 10 years old and literally nothing has gone wrong with it - I’m considering a Land Cruiser.
Well, the deed is done. I found a 2004 LC4 120-series with 103K miles for £6300 somewhere close enough to view. Externally it's in very good condition, with fewer marks than the 2013 Berlingo I sold last week.

Internally it's not bad, though of course the driver seat bolster on the right-hand side is a bit tatty. It still has the toolkit and jack. The seller is a pleasant and steady retired gent who has owned it for 10 years; he is the second owner. He and his wife need something a bit smaller now that they are no longer doing the miles. He had all the service history, original handbooks and other documentation.

I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine, no strange noises or unexpected movements. It was audibly a diesel but not too noisy. So I bought it and piloted it home 60 miles. It's comfortable and drives well; large but not unmanageably so. Because it seems to use a lot of the same switchgear as my wife's Toyota it all seems familiar. (As I was on a tight schedule I had to eat on the run and found that one advantage of an automatic is that if you're careful you can eat a sandwich with one hand while driving.) Predictably it hardly noticed our rough track.

The front window on the driver side clonks a bit and a couple of the doors are stiff, so I will have our local independent garage take a look at it. No doubt there will be things that need doing, but overall it seems to be a pretty straight car at a good price.

Now I need to sort out a double din head unit with a touchscreen and other goodies!

Thanks to everybody for their input in this thread.

Dan

Get under it as well, and check the injector seals were done, if its in the recall vin's

Well done!

Glad you found one, hope it serves you well. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is you window clonking about half way down when being opened? That's probably a warped door skin where the restraining strap attaches between the hinges. Block of wood by the strap and push the door closed gently. If that helps, try again but harder. Mine still clonks but nowhere near as badly as it did.

Get under it as well, and check the injector seals were done, if its in the recall vin's
Thanks for that reminder; I had completely forgotten.

I looked here and the VIN is not in the list - the numbers go up to 00050831 and mine is a 51xxx. I also used the Toyota recall checker and that says "your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required". Hopefully that is accurate...

Dan

Is you window clonking about half way down when being opened? That's probably a warped door skin where the restraining strap attaches between the hinges. Block of wood by the strap and push the door closed gently. If that helps, try again but harder. Mine still clonks but nowhere near as badly as it did.
on my 95 the rubber washer on the check strap came off the the end of the check strap bent the window runner.

Well, the deed is done. I found a 2004 LC4 120-series with 103K miles for £6300 somewhere close enough to view. Externally it's in very good condition, with fewer marks than the 2013 Berlingo I sold last week.

Internally it's not bad, though of course the driver seat bolster on the right-hand side is a bit tatty. It still has the toolkit and jack. The seller is a pleasant and steady retired gent who has owned it for 10 years; he is the second owner. He and his wife need something a bit smaller now that they are no longer doing the miles. He had all the service history, original handbooks and other documentation.

I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine, no strange noises or unexpected movements. It was audibly a diesel but not too noisy. So I bought it and piloted it home 60 miles. It's comfortable and drives well; large but not unmanageably so. Because it seems to use a lot of the same switchgear as my wife's Toyota it all seems familiar. (As I was on a tight schedule I had to eat on the run and found that one advantage of an automatic is that if you're careful you can eat a sandwich with one hand while driving.) Predictably it hardly noticed our rough track.

The front window on the driver side clonks a bit and a couple of the doors are stiff, so I will have our local independent garage take a look at it. No doubt there will be things that need doing, but overall it seems to be a pretty straight car at a good price.

Now I need to sort out a double din head unit with a touchscreen and other goodies!

Thanks to everybody for their input in this thread.

Dan

Well done Dan, hope it works for you. What is the colour BTW? LC4 is the best model and I always drool when I see a black 120 Invincible.
After running the V6 Collie I'm tempted by the 4.0 120.

Congrats. Hope you have many happy miles.

As for the bolster, look around at the companies who fix them. Do an amazing job for less than I thought.

Well done Dan, hope it works for you. What is the colour BTW? LC4 is the best model and I always drool when I see a black 120 Invincible.
After running the V6 Collie I'm tempted by the 4.0 120.
And they seem to go for less than the diesels too? Might be a good choice.
The colour is a deep green, not as cool as the black ones I'm afraid.

Dan

Back