Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

WW2......My Dads incompetent role in Hitlers downfall.

frank rabbets

Guru
At outbreak of war my Dad was a milk lorry driver and was not drafted to fight abroad. However he had to join the Home Guard and receive appropriate training. This involved him being trained to use a machine gun, the only one in Dorset, by the local Vicar. At that time there was parachute fear because people thought that the Germans could invade from the air. The Vicar told Dad to open up on anything white he saw on his night time patrols with a clear conscience. So one night he did exactly that. Upon going to examine the body he discovered he had shot the Vicar's goat.

A true story told to me by my Mum who was in floods of laughter when telling me.

Last edited:
At outbreak of war my Dad was a milk tanker driver and was not drafted to fight abroad. However he had to join the Home Guard and receive appropriate training. This involved him being trained to use a machine gun, the only one in Dorset, by the local Vicar. At that time there was parachute fear because people thought that the Germans could invade from the air. The Vicar told Dad to open up on anything white he saw on his night time patrols with a clear conscience. So one night he did exactly that. Upon going to examine the body he discovered he had shot the Vicar's goat.

A true story told to me by my Mum who was in floods of laughter when telling me.

The “brave and true” Frank, great story.

And I’ll bet he had a telling off for killing the goat :lol:

At one point in training the Vicar, an Alcoholic, had set the machine gun up on a tripod on the billiard table and had such terrible shakes he pulled the trigger by accident and a single round went straight through the back of a chair someone had been recently been sitting on.

Back