Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yet ANOTHER 100 Series Draw Build - All Advice Welcome Please

CountryBoy136

Country Flag
south_africa
Oops... as still a comparative novice here, seems I may have initially posted the following thread in the wrong forum... so forgive me but reposting here as more appropriate...

So, with December almost upon us and hopefully some time off to potter... started final planning for a rear drawer storage system for my 100 series. I'd say from the outset that this is not intended as a hard core expedition storage system, but instead drawing from my own experience of these vehicles as an ideal compromise between sport/leisure and family getaway truck whilst still retaining civilised road manners as an urban daily driver.

One things sorely lacking in these vehicles is secure 'boot' storage, which is where any drawer systemimmediately comes in handy, but additionally I wanted to incorporate a hidden secret compartment for valuables which could be more securely stored for peace of mind even if the vehicle is broken into and rifled. Obviously, this shortens the available drawer space, but this is a compromise I am happy to live with.

I'd like to have two compact storage compartments accessible from the front of the vehicle, as will be the hidden compartment, behind and accessed through the back of the front facing compartment. Two hinged wings, possibly split into two sections each, and two rear opening drawers then, one shorter than the other, both mounted on full extension 100kg sliders with lock stops. The top deck will be finished with a motor car floor carpet to be hard wearing and to conceal the joint between units and hinged components.

I plan to build the system as two individual units constructed from birch ply with all joints dovetailed taking account of directional force loading... important to lock maximum rigidity and strength into the carcass units particularly since they are separate units which will be tied together when deployed together. Reason for separate units is so that I can remove one if we need to use a 3rd row seat when family and friends come for an extended stay and we need space for kids, but still retain the secure storage of the remaining single box.

Would welcome any feedback from anyone who has tried using or building any of these ideas into their own systems, and happy to be told why this may be a very good or alternatively a very bad idea... or even more valuable, what am I missing out that is useful and could be incorporated into the design...

Will be drafting final accurate scale plan before commencing with build, which could easily be scaled for other trucks too... and happy to post cad file. for all comers to help themselves... lol :grimacing:

Last edited:
Below are some initial accurately scaled drawings detailing my base intentions:

Drawers Proto 1 - LC100 Beastie 1.jpg
Drawers Proto 1 - LC100 Beastie 2.jpg
Drawers Proto 1 - LC100 Beastie 3.jpg
Drawers Proto 1 - LC100 Beastie 4a.jpg
Drawers Proto 1 - LC100 Beastie 5a.jpg

It looks kinda similar to mine (no front access or secret cubby hole) I'm very impressed with your drawings, much neater than my bit of pen n paper!
keeping it in two bits makes sense, easier to manhandle in two parts as well. Mine has pretty much stayed in constantly for the last two years but i did remove one half so i could fit a bumper in the back which would have been a total pain if i had to take everything out.

It looks kinda similar to mine (no front access or secret cubby hole) I'm very impressed with your drawings, much neater than my bit of pen n paper!
keeping it in two bits makes sense, easier to manhandle in two parts as well. Mine has pretty much stayed in constantly for the last two years but i did remove one half so i could fit a bumper in the back which would have been a total pain if i had to take everything out.
Thanks, and yes, I am also figuring will be in the back pretty much full time but wanted to be able to have flexibility IF I ever needed it. Am wondering about making router cut-outs in the carcass sides to reduce weight but retain vertical loading strength, leaving a thin skin to keep it rustproof still?

Thanks for compliment on drawings btw, but have to say not due to any particular skill on my part... is all down to Sketchup, is such an easy package to use and the ability to be totally precise is invaluable... also how you can easily print out various perspectives, line drawings and even a 3D rotating animation... easy to get carried away but is super useful... haha

I think I had a go with that but failed miserably. Turned out nice in the end though. I figured of taking stuff out of the boot all the time so made drawers so it's out of sight

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back