Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yet another 80 build thread

Whenever you fit any baby seat always pull the seat bets right out to start . I repeated this several hundred times , had 3 grandkids and had to remove and repair seat belts i don't know how many times before both kids got their own car and suddenly understood what i was saying . Alas granny still forgets :icon-rolleyes:

If I'm understanding right. Plug the seat belt in first, then fit the baby seat?

Yeah, or you could put the lap part of the belt over the isofix base, between the grey and black bits. Whichever works best with your ISOFIX base. For a universal system, the ISOFIX seems to be a lot different between seat and car manufacturers. In my Corolla which has ISOFIX from the factory, I have to remove the seat base cushion or the babyseat sits at too much of an angle. I think the ISOFIX works ok in a saloon car but anything else is an adaptation.

Finally managed to get some time on the cruiser again, away from having a baby and also renovating the kitchen. I've ordered some Maxtrax alike recovery boards, couldn't bring myself to pay for some legit Maxtrax at 1/2 the price I got two pair.
But I needed somewhere to mount them, so got around building some, first thing was the correct selection of stock material, well whatever was in the off cut bin.
5D9C58F1-9D72-48C4-B617-8B319F681811.jpeg

Shame all I found was 3mm steel, as everyone knows working with ticker steel is so much easier than using the correct material.
8F2A628D-F9A3-492D-83CC-43DFEA22BA5C.jpeg

So after chopping it up into the correct dimensions and measure the distance between the mounting holes, five times then measuring them once again after I've marked up the stock it was time to drill the holes.
E0FF674A-61DB-4884-B1AF-5F2BBFBC5756.jpeg

Holes all drilled and some M8 threaded rod welded into the holes and the other holes tapped for some M12 bolts (yet again all i could find in the parts bin). After a few sprays with a rattle can doesn't look half bad. Finally mounted on the truck.
FA7E5BA6-2E3A-46DB-9681-E7019FD0EE4A.jpeg

At the moment they are held down using some massive washer and some M8 wing nuts using the threaded rod, so it's easier to get the recovery boards on and off the truck. Some M12 bolts with massive washer mount through the roof rack to hold the entire thing down.

I'm not sure about maybe adding a padlock / bike lock because I'm more than 99% sure someone will try to pinch them. Unless anyone knows of some more suitable?

Next task is install the wing mirrors, intake clean and oil catch can install and side step / rock slider fab (not the most important jobs) but I can't be arsed to be welding inner arches and sills when it's freezing outside and you have to drag out the welding gear.

Last edited:
Wing mirrors Steve?

Is that a chicken coop behind the 80?
;)

Yea got some of the clearview wing mirrors that are heated. What can I say I used to be a Landrover fan boy, still am a little but I try to hide it.

Look forward to feed back on them.

Only pulling your leg. I grew up with series land rovers and will always have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yea they look like good bits of kit, kind of polarising looks wise, plus I wanted heated mirrors so semi excuse to buy them.
Defenders are totally a heart purchase no reason to buy them other than you love them and love working on them.

Only pulling your leg. I grew up with series land rovers and will always have a bit of a soft spot for them.[/QUOTE]

CG, I grew up changing clutches, gearboxes and almost everything else on all the farmers ones when I was an apprentice, and will always have a deep seated hatred for them

"CG, I grew up changing clutches, gearboxes and almost everything else on all the farmers ones when I was an apprentice, and will always have a deep seated hatred for them"

LOL.
I was a young lad, my dad did all that bit.
I just remember sitting in the spare wheel on the bonnet or on the roof while driving on dirt tracks or across fields.
All of our holidays were in Scotland with a owd caravan dragged up there at 40..

Rose tinted I'm sure..

Last edited:
Between the kitchen and wife being ready to pop managed to fit the solar panel. So knocked up some brackets out of 5mm steel.
A0E8028F-CF70-4B09-A2E4-9AFC11317739.jpeg

The rear brackets where welder up out of 5mm flat and 6mm road bar as well.
1296D9E7-A399-49E0-A8CA-AC573FB00769.jpeg

Just need to wire it in now.

Oooh no peeking. Not until Christmas Day!

So it couldn't wait till Christmas :), I started the install but had to stop due to it going dark. I've managed to get one mirror installed and managed to get the wire through the door grommet, talk about a massive pain in the arse. Now I need to get it through the wing grommet and I'm not looking forward to it, anyone got any tips other than just poking a new whole in it?

IMG_0254.jpg

And here is a picture, I'll get more tomorrow once they are both installed, but I've nearly lost my patience already.
IMG_0258.jpg

Just need to wire it in now.

Just remember that any wires you connect to the solar panel will immediately carry a current. You can cover the panel up with cardboard to stop it generating electricity.

It all looks very good.

Well got the mirrors installed and wired up thanks to @chapel gate post, must admit they make reversing into spaces so much easier as you can actually see the lines etc.
IMG_0260.jpg

You can see where they have put the heating element:
IMG_0261.jpeg

Well as I’m off work waiting for the baby to turn up, time to get fabricating some rock sliders. Some 80x40x5 steel purchased and cut to 1750. End plugged with some 5mm plate and ground down and zinc primed to hide my welds.
Next thing is bend the 60mm 5mm tube so make so “out riggers for the step”

63263FA0-AEA6-4597-BFB8-48FB313099D1.jpeg 8256D60B-B953-4344-91AB-084519E9CC87.jpeg 6AEE7D9C-AF70-4C50-BDB7-F5278619C468.jpeg 0D707488-EFE3-4247-A3B0-6C16280441B9.jpeg

More than happy with them, are they worth the money, for me yes. As they are heated and you can see so much and for towing definitely but there like marmite aren’t they

Back