Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yet another 80 build thread

You can't get much simpler than using this switchover valve and having two tanks, plus using that switch over valve you can use the one fuel gauge, lift pump etc. I'd go for the OEM route but 65l isn't that much when you have space for two larger tanks to store water and fuel.
I'm just worried those thanks may not be robust enough so may get some made out of 3mm stainless, as looking at the prices I can get two tanks made for the price of the oem seutp.

how much is the switchover valve steve. i agree. the 55L nowhere near big enough for me as i run bio and its nice to carry the 160L under the arse end.

that is cheap.
Had bits of those people in the past when ive ran twin tank set ups on wvo.

so that valve does the feed and retutn in one?

Yep and also switches the fuel gauge as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So managed to do a few jobs yesterday, the AC condenser was past it's best I thought, so it's time to replace it, after pulling it out it literally fell to bits.

20190605_132104.jpg

Unfortunately, the new condenser I was sent wasn't the correct one, so after driving to the place that sent it to me, I managed to get a new one that was the correct type and it got installed. For some reason, I've got a condenser now that's the same size also the same mounting locations but the holes the feed and return pipes go into are like 2mm smaller, maybe it's for a 12v are the pipe smaller on a 12v. They didn't want it back said something about easier to give me a new one, than restock the old one, so if anyone wants one let me know.
20190608_120858.jpg

Whilst removing the "radiator blind" it also disintegrated, so I've had to order a replacement from the US (the only place in the world with stock), and the condenser bracket was past it's best, so I've also had to order a replacement from the US (no stock anywhere but the US). Just waiting on the condenser to arrive and I can fill up the AC again, I'm hoping it hasn't got any leaks.

After this is complete I can actually fit my new front bumper. An update on the tanks, I managed to find a company that can make bespoke plastic tanks, so waiting for the quote for a 90L diesel tank and a 45l water tank that should fit under the boot.

@thelal PM sent.

So managed to get to another job this afternoon:
20190617_160900.jpg

Old front bumper off, that was way easier compared to the back bumper. Then went to lift the new bumper, ain't going to happen on my own. I asked the wife to help me but asking your pregnant wife to lift a bumper, get's you shouted at.
Once I get back from London tomorrow, I'll get a mate over to give me a lift, then onto my new EFS suspension.

So after much lifting and swearing, the front bumper is now on, the only problem is I need to take it off when I get my winch. I'm thinking about going for a Goodwinch Bowmotor ‘2’ TDS-9.5c and fitting that with an 11m Dyneema rope unless anyone can suggest anything else.

20190619_142635.jpg

Also, one last thing the outside circular cutouts on the far right and left seem to be mounting for round lights, anyone got any recommendations? The diameter of the opening is 10cm.

Suppose I'm going to have to fit my suspension now :).

Last edited:
Just found this Steve, Great build thread, and nice looking truck. What are your plans once it's finished? Have you got anywhere in mind.

Re. tanks - not sure if you've got it sorted yet, but have a think about whether 45l of water is enough, and whether you need more fuel. By the time you take drinking water, washing up water, cooking water, shower/ washing water etc 45 litres won't last you long. We're done a few long trips to various places. We've never needed to use the fuel sub tank other than to stock up on cheap fuel before border crossings, but we have run out of water on more than a few occasions. We were at 40l of water before but we're aiming for 150l water for the next trip. Just some food for thought.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks, Nick, the rest of the build will involve some solar panels, batteries and a draw system build out in the rear. I've already made some draws but they are changing vastly as going through the boot to get to the fridge is a ballache. I'm also planning a CB install and maybe a roof console for that. I've decided to sleep in an oztent bunker to keep the weight down and also because they are some damn comfy with a good inflatable mattress.

The plan with the tanks is on hold at the moment, as the company I found to fab the tanks aren't so keen on it now (haven't responded to my emails or calls). But I'm still on the hunt for some premade tanks, as that brings the cost down to 1/3 of what my custom tanks were going to be. I've found a 61l and 42l tanks setup that fits and leaves some space so that may be an option, as I could mount my batteries down there as well.
As I'll mostly be travel on my own, I think 40l of waters should be enough and I've got a rear jerry can holder, so if I need another 20l I can just wack a Jerry can on the back when the wife comes with me.

@nick_the_fish just wondering how your planning to carry 150l of water?

Nice looking bumper.
IPF, ARB etc do 4" inset fog and driving lights.

The front bumper isn't bad for 500 quid delivered.

We've got a Frontrunner upright 40l tank in the cab between the boys seats and the bulkhead which is a brilliant use of otherwise fairly dead space, photos in this thread

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...-a-scandinavian-adventure-trip-report.147328/

Then we'll put another 105l tank next to the new gas tank where the spare wheel used to be. Its not in yet because I want to get the new bumper on before i measure up and commit. I'll do a build thread soon once i've got enough to make it interesting.

Check out these CAK for off the shelf water tanks. They've got loads of different shapes and sizes. I can't attest to the quality yet as i haven't seen one but they get pretty good reviews.

https://leisurelines.net/water-tanks-1-c.asp

So today during my lunch I installed some super cheap LED lights (13 quid), had to make some brackets, not sure how they look yet.
20190620_152404.jpg

So I did some wiring today, the halo lights on the bumper are wired into my sidelights:
20190621_193607.jpg

And the main bumper lights are wired into the normal dipped beam:

20190621_193625.jpg

Just wondering if this will get through MOT or if I'll have to wire them up another way, like on their own switch?

So today I've cut into my wing to fit a Snorkel but how the hell do I reach those bolts:
20190624_191428.jpg

I can just about reach all the others but I can't see a way of reaching those holes to fit the bolts on? It's a cheap eBay snorkel anyone got any fitting tips?

Back