Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series Cruise Control Problem?

Graeme Power

Country Flag
australia
Hi to the membership. I have another problem I am trying to sort, I bought this landy cheap so I don't mind doing the leg work to fix the myriad of problems I am now beset with..
This one is odd, I was having a problem with Auto Gear shift so I had a diagnostic run on it and found the Throttle Position Sensor was in fault, I had a new one fitted (the fault code cleared) and a Auto Gearbox Service which has made the gear shifts regular and smoother with an occasional clunky gear change which I think typical of auto boxes when confronted with acceleration and deceleration under load. I haven't owned an Auto in 35 years, I'm a Manual "stick shift" driver but the wife wanted Auto just in case we got into difficulty somewhere and she had to drive.
Back to the problem I now have. I engage cruise control on the open road 110k limit and set it to 108 approx., on a flat road but we come to an incline, the speed drops and the cruise control does nothing till the speed drops to about 104? then it downshifts. Now I thought the accelerator would be automatically pulled in to compensate for the load instead of downshifting, I am not towing with no load. It then holds the lower gear for an extended period and sometimes will not upshift to O/D. I have to disengage Cruise Control and re engage to get top gear again, I have been disengaging cruise control and manually operating the throttle till the hill has passed and then hitting resume and that works of course but that's not the idea of having cruise control in the first place.
Also if I am driving in cruise control in O/D and it kicks down if I dis engage cruise control it immediately kicks into O/D and I can easily negotiate the slight rise with foot control. this cant be normal and I want to know if there is an expert out there that has had experience with this type of problem.
Many thanks for any thoughts on this.
Graeme

Hi there, just googled this exact problem I’m having with my cruiser which lead me to your post. Have you diagnosed the problem? I can’t seem to find any information or help on what to do.
thanks in advance :)

Hi, I am going to try Landcruiser Forums in the UK and USA to see if there is more technical traffic there.
Graeme

Back