Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 Series Wheels and tyres

agbucks

I currently have 265/75/R16 tyres fitted to 16 inch rims on my 105 series.

However, I am about to fit a new set of tyres for our overland journey to Australia and not sure whether to replace with the same or go to a bigger tyre/larger rim.

i note the speedo reads high so inclined to go bigger but what is the recommended size for tyre and rim (16 v 17)?

Thanks,
Andy

Are they the original 16" alloy rims? If so I would keep those and **possibly** upgrade to a 33" tyre. All depending on the type of terrain you intend going over. If you're in the UK the 105 is a pretty rare beast here.

The trip sounds pretty exciting ... you should tell us more!

Thanks. The 16 inch rims (not sure whether original) are a 5 spoke steel.
Checking the BFG site, the largest 16 inch diameter is a 75 profile.

They should have Toyota printed on them somewhere if they are. Seeing some other posts about your truck they probably are Toyota ones.

I personally love the 255/85/R16 (33") tyre size. You get the height without being too wide and zapping even more power.

i have 255 86 18 bfg km2 these are ment to be the tallest 33" tyre you can get. i think you should have another look at there site.
Having a 17" wheel will not give you a taller wheel tyre combo. its the profile of the tyre. I would stick to a common size on a trip like this some thing like a 285/75/16 as these would be easier to get then a 255/85/16 or a 17" tyre. Unless you are doing a suspenion lift i would stick with the 265 as this is a very popular tyre in poor countries you are drivinh through.

Stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having said that ... for really long motorway stretches on european motorways it was a struggle for me to stay above 55mph in my 80 with BFG muds of that size. I was pretty heavy though.

Hi Andy, more important to know is what width the wheels are so the limitations of what can be fitted are known. Keep to 16" and maybe go to 285's if you have 8"rims. If they are original 105 wheels they will be steels.

Andy

Surprised you said that Grant. I have them on my 80 and dont have any issues even with a Ivor willams twin axle trailer and a 90 on the back with lots of toys all together must be 3.2 t easy.
stu

Surprised you said that Grant. I have them on my 80 and dont have any issues even with a Ivor willams twin axle trailer and a 90 on the back with lots of toys all together must be 3.2 t easy.
stu
My brain isn't working too well today ... the main point I neglected to mention is this was whilst driving up hills. The 55mp/h mark was hit quite a few times through the Pyrenees.

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance. I think I am inclined to stick with the 16 inch rims and go for 285/75 tyres.
Andy

Back