Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 LC5 Tyres

freddie_berks

Hi everyone,

new to the forum and I've just come over from the green side (3 disco 3s - should have been 2, but the first one went back!). Got fed up with the repair bills on the last one...

I'd like some advice on tyres for my 120 LC5 4.0 v6 on a 55 plate. I picked it up just before Xmas and it's got the original Dunlop AT20's on and they've lasted just over 40k miles.

So looking for some replacements and although I'm mostly on the road, there is a few miles of unmade road (lots of gravel & potholes) and a ford every day. I quite like the idea of a slightly more aggressive pattern and having read a few threads here was thinking of Grabber AT2's. What would people suggest?

Also, the standard tyres are 265/65 R17 112s - any thoughts on the pros and cons of going for 265/70 R17.

Cheers
Andy

Welcome - I think yours is the first petrol 120 here - that's got to be fun!

I run 265/70x17 Cooper STTs on mine with no issues at all.

Generals seem to be well thought of. I've heard rumours of them being discontinued due to impending Euro 'noise' and 'clean rubber' regulations, but that could just be twaddle.

BFG AT is another (more expensive) option for you.

Cheers

BFG AT for a longwearing solution, great traction in the dry and provides average traction in sloppy mud.

Continental Crosscontact AT doesn't last as long, average traction in the dry, spit out stodgy mud a bit better, great on wet roads with waterchannels

I would echo what Chris has just said.
BFG 265 x 70 x R17 AT

I will expect more than 80k miles from a set.
So much debate on the BFG A/T and the Grabber AT2.

Whichever you decide, I am sure you will be pleased. :thumbup:
However, I did read a few posts about some one, or some people not quite as impressed with the Grabber AT2 as when they first got them. :shock:

My BFG A/T have about, (and thats a big about) 20k miles.
When mine was in at Toyota last, for a service, they measure all the tread depths.
Comparing with older service "tread depth" measures they have worn, some thing like 0.7mm

Now they are 12.7 mm from new, so thats a good idicator of life expectancy.

I did read some where that a Discovery had done 180k miles on a set of BFG A/T,
I can believe the "tyres part" but not the "Discovery" part. :mrgreen:

Gra.

I go with BFG AT's too. I just bought my second set of 295/75-16 for my LC 100. The first set has 100.000 + KM and they are not worn out at all, so these tires last very long...

LB

And speaking from experience, the Bridgestone Dueler D694 are an excellent tyre too. I was running them on mine. Fantastic winter traction. Not cheap at £145+/ tyre but they're superb. The others mentioned above not too popular in NI and the 'Stones were the easiest to get. Inflate to 2.4Bar approx and not the 2.0Bar mentioned in the book.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fraction more daylight under the vehicle ... Ie slightly increased ground clearance

No problem for insurance (as long as you stick to load and speed ratings, and declare them). My Coopers rubbed a little on the front mud flaps under full lock turns with suspension under compression. Pulled the flaps back with zip ties and all is good :)

Hi Freddie,
My 256 x 70 x R17 BFG A/T didnt rub anywhere.
Theye are easily as quiet ae the Grand Trek's that I took off.
The difference is, with the Grand Trek's, there is a real noticible roll, when your cornering (sp)
The BFG, are increased infllated from the 29 psi for the Grand Treks, to 35 psi to 40 psi for the BFG.
This is generally because the BFG offer a much thicker and stronger side wall than the others.
Also, this added side wall thickness and strength, gives the BFG less chance of getting a cut or a split in the side wall.
Which generally means, the tyre is a 'throw away'
Sure the BFG is pronably £10 - £20 more than the others, but in respect of longativity, and side wall security, I think money well spent.

Gra.

Ok, saw some BFG's today at the Millbrook proving ground and also had the pleasure of being driven around the off road course in a H3 shod with them - very impressive and I'm sold.

However, the current tyres have an S rating (112mph) and can only find the BFGs in R rating (106mph). Top speed is listed at 109mph for both petrol and diesel versions...

Can get the grabbers in S or T - is that being just too pedantic.

Cheers
Andy

freddie_berks said:
can only find the BFGs in R rating (106mph). Top speed is listed at 109mph for both petrol and diesel versions...

Do you really need that extra 3mph? :think:

Finally decided it would be either grabber or bfg and started looking for someone to fit them.
Came across: http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/home.aspx
which are the 4x4 division of micheldever tyres. Spoke to the local centre in Slough easily enough and they could supply either for good prices. They struggled on advising on going to 265/70, so rather than bullsh'ting, they passed me onto their main 4x4 centre where I spoke to a very knowledgeable chap who took me through the pros and cons of each of the tyres and sizes and his recommendations based on what I'd be doing (more road than off). They highly rate the new Grabber AT as a good every day compromise and so I went for those and stuck with 265/65s.
Having them fitted on Saturday (and they are coming to me) so will let you know initial thoughts/photos soon.

Cheers
Freddie

I got my GG AT2's from Martin's near Westend. They had the best price by far. They had to order them in though.

Would anyone here consider using Retreads? I've been running retreads (Conway and Bronco) for a number of years now and currently I've got a set of Marix ATs (BFG AT pattern) on my Fronty. I can't recommend these highly enough. On a recent run to visit a mate in Ruthin, North Wales, these tyres performed flawlessly. Alas my last set of AT Conways didn't last three years and 30K. It seems I had ordered the last set before the factory was closed down.

The Dark Dude

Nope ..... been there done that.
i ran a set of "Amazon Technic" on my old fronty ...after 15k they fell apart (delaminated) ...only ever used new tyres since

Red Oktober said:
Nope ..... been there done that.
i ran a set of "Amazon Technic" on my old fronty ...after 15k they fell apart (delaminated) ...only ever used new tyres since

Red

I've never heard of "Amazon Technic", so I can't comment on them (even though I have to admit there is a lot of crap out there). This is what Marix said about the issue of remould longevity on their website:

"Marix tyres are offered with a 5 year manufacturers warranty. Retreading represents the best way to help the environment and at the same time save money, so much so that the process is actively supported by the EU. Less use of raw materials, less casings to dispose of, greater savings for the user. Cutting-edge technology means that retreads have now reached levels of performance and duration that are comparable with those offered by new tyres."

The same line is repeated by the dudes at INSA TURBO:

"Insa Turbo retread tyres providing an ecologic, economic and safety solution; an amount of seven times less of oil is necessary to retread a tyre which is homologated to the same level as new tyres (E9), providing an efficient solution to the prodigious amount of difficult degradation waste which is produced in Europe each year."

I've had both good and bad experiences with retreads but in the main I wouldn't just diss them out of hand. Also remember this, for the most extreme off-roading the only alternative that is available are retreads. If retreads can be used in competition, why not on the road and a bit of greenlaning? The first set I ever fitted were a set of Bronco All terrains ( I remember the day my wife and I visited the factory in Stoke) and they lasted four years and 60K miles before they were sold on with the motor. They were diamond. No if's and no butts! Up hill and down dale including a fair bit of greenlaning in the Lake District and Shropshire. Alas that ole British disease of greed and poor management mashed up a good company in double quick time. Wind the clock forward 10 years and the same thing happens to Colway Tyres. Alas IMHO both INSA and Marix are quite a different kettle of fish.

The Dark Dude

Had the new GG ATs fitted on Sat -
April11050.jpg

April11053.jpg

Really like them - only short distances so far but seem just as quiet on the road as the Dunlops and quieter on gravel.
Good service from ProTyres in Slough as well.
Thanks to everyone for advice.
Cheers
Freddie

Back