Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Model Variants

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
LJ120 / LJ125 - part time 4wd? Didn't know they existed!

Attachments

• model-code-key.pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 87
  • model-line-up.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 101
I think it's a 3.0 diesel. Looks like it only comes in manual?

Must have no centre diff?

I tried searching for adverts and found one but it didn't really have any decent pics of the inside to see the gear shifters etc. Looks like the advert I found was in Ghana!

I think the (old?) 4runner was loosely related to the prado and they had part time 4wd.

Hmmm!

Don't have much to add really, except it's interesting about the lj prefix, as that was always for the Japanese 70 series. The le was an engine variant in those as well, as in 2t-le or 2le, turbo or non turbo, as fitted to some 70 series and hilux. Could the 5 denote a 5 speed gearbox, as in the manual box listed, perhaps ?
I had to 're read the post, as I thought lj20?, that was a Suzi model. Then the penny dropped, lj120. Doh!
Obviously things have moved on since the original land cruiser lj, but found the reference interesting.
Not sure if any of my thoughts apply to your original post Karl, just more to confuse the issue ? haha.

Don't have much to add really, except it's interesting about the lj prefix, as that was always for the Japanese 70 series. The le was an engine variant in those as well, as in 2t-le or 2le, turbo or non turbo, as fitted to some 70 series and hilux.

Thanks mate I think you're onto something there - the engines seem related:

That 5LE doesnt produce much power does it - 94hp!

I think hilux has always been part time 4wd (correct?) so maybe it made sense to shift the engine + everything to the 120 if they wanted to produce a part time version! Must have been some reason for it, we need to get hold of an African brochure! :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Milk float power in that. haha
Hilux may well have been part time, but IIRC, so was my lj78, push 4x4 button to engage.
Both Hilux and Landcruiser shared the some of same parts at one time.
That's 2.4 2lte turbo efi engine. The 3 litre version installed in lc and hilux, was kzt ?
Presumably, the lj120 is swb, and the lj125 is lwb, much the same 70/78, 90/95, and 120/125 ?
There's a few African members in the club, maybe they can shed light, although they may not see this on 120 forum.

If you believe Wikipedia and the online lookup tools for oil etc., then for the 2003 model year the 120 could have the 5VZ-FE 3.4L petrol that the 90 series used. From 2004 they used the 1GR-FE 4.0L. Never seen one in the flesh though (they have side decals that indicate the engine here)

LJ120/LJ125 is a Toyota Gibraltar model, I think they still do a LJ150....

5LE is nicknamed a 3.slo because it's such a slug, even in a HiLux!

Lots of 3.Slow to 3.4 conversions on YouTube.

3. SlightlyLessSlow
I looked at 5VZ-FE swap into my 4Runner last time I changed the engine.... I decided it was easier to change to a FZJ80....

I'd looked at a 5LE engined Hilux space cab, but it was a farm ute from out Moree way, so was rather (shall we say) "used".... no aircon belt on it, so the staff would get out the cab to do their work instead of sitting in it idling away...

Yeah given a choice I'd go for the FZ too! But the 5VZ is pretty bulletproof, mine is at 386,000km, nothing changed on it apart from hoses, belts, filter and fluids!

If that 3 litre single cam Diesel has no turbo, whilst it will be a bit sluggish on the open road, at slower speeds such as in town and especially off road it muight well come into its own.
Most NA Diesels have masses of low rev grunt, there's no flat spot or point at where the power suddenly drops because you've dropped below suitable revs for the turbo, also virtually impossible to stall, i ran NA Diesels for years and whilst they were obviously underperformers on the open road, they were miles more flexible at slow speeds pulling without complaint right down to tickover, no turbo turbine blocking the exhaust either, so long as the swept volume was big enough they were fine both in lorries and 4x4s, Fiat (or was it UNIC) used to fit 8 cyl 19 litre NA Diesels back in the day if my memory serves, you needed a bloody good trubocharged wagon to stay with one of those, there's also a 30 litre V10 NA monster made by Isuzu, the torque from must cause road damage.

I wonder if the 3 litre mentioned is basically the same engine as was fitted to my 70 series (KZJ70), a turbocharged 3 litre 4 pot but with mechanical pump and injectors, only rated at 123bhp but masses of torque, it would pull a house down and was virtually impossible to stall, coping right down to tickover revs and you could still hear the turbo spooling away the engine wanting to deliver, still miss that old girl, selectable 4WD on those.

Compare to Discoveries of similar age with the 2.5 4 pot engine, so gutless that they wouldn't even drive up onto the transporter (artic transporter with very gentle approach and deck angles) unless you selected low range, they'd just stall out once the revs dropped below a certain point and any oomph from the tubbo instantly vanished, Mitsis were just as bad, compare with loading new Hilux and Landcruisers no such faffing ever needed, they'd romp up the decks no matter what gear you were in.

Last edited:
Here's the Toyota Gibraltar Spec sheet for a LJ150:

Juddain, no it's an evolution of the L series engine, not a KZ series engine, so not related to the one in your 70.

So it's full time 4wd on the LJ150 and part time on the LJ120?

Not sure when the D4D came out on the 120 but my mate has a 2005 120 with the 1KZ-TE engine, old school for 2005, and very old school these days. Even uses the same slushbox 4 speed tranny (A343F) that my 2000 90 uses!

His 120 (KZJ120) is AWD/4WD, i.e. same as 90 series.

Back