120 Series winch mounting ...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
so a quick question for you all ...

I bought the bumper from fleabay (an ARB Sahara), and it's now been straightened and mounted with lots of help from Jon and Gav - great spanering and welding there, guys!

My job is to fit the TDS Goldfish 12k winch. All was going well - the biggest issue was finding the time to do this. Last Saturday was deemed to be a suitable day - SWMBO was at her parents, the weather was as good as it's going to get - what could possibly go wrong?

Well, the fickle finger of fate came along and did it's stuff. I have an electric fan in the front of my radiator that other, lesser, 120s don't. Go figure. Anyway - what thi smeans is that becuase we had to lift the bumper mounts, due to the body-lift, the winch control box collides with the plastic fan shround and electric plugs - not a good combination. Wasn't fun bench-pressing 40kg+ of without being able to get it into the spot it had to go - and trying to twiddle it at the same time!

So - I will have to remote-mount the control box. Question is - where! There seems to be provision on top of the bumper for it - but that seems to be a bit too exposed for my liking. I've got all the extension cables, but there's very little - in fact almost no - room in the engine bay.

Any other suggestions? Can't see me running it from in the cab somehow - no room in there either! I guess I may have to make a custom platform to go near the diesel filter - right where I wanted to put the air compressor. Grrr... :cry: :evil:

Gary Stockton said:
Can't see me running it from in the cab somehow - no room in there either! I guess I may have to make a custom platform to go near the diesel filter - right where I wanted to put the air compressor. Grrr... :cry: :evil:
I've got mine mounted in my 80 on the side of the transmission tunnel at the bottom of the passenger footwell, leaves plenty of room for the passenger :thumbup:

Gary are you using the newer Albright solenoids or the older coil packs?

You may be able to squeeze the Albright in somewhere.... also do you have one of THESE remotes (cheaper off ebay), means you won't need the hand control connected.

Cheers Chas - but I'm afraid that anything inthe passenger are up front will be a problem - you have no idea how much cr@p SWMBO can pack around her feet when we travel - I can't fathom it .... Very weird!

Tony - yep, same solenoid and same remote (cheap from flea-bay), so I guess I could just mount the solenoid on it's own, and lose the hand-remote connection, right?

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
Cheers Chas - but I'm afraid that anything inthe passenger are up front will be a problem - you have no idea how much cr@p SWMBO can pack around her feet when we travel - I can't fathom it .... Very weird!
Build SWMBO a shelf above it, she'll be able to get even more in there, :thumbup: and closer to hand she won't even have to bend over :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
Tony - yep, same solenoid and same remote (cheap from flea-bay), so I guess I could just mount the solenoid on it's own, and lose the hand-remote connection, right?

Cheers

Yes correct. It's what Crispin did,and what I now also use. Hand control is now redundant

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks :thumbup: - will go look into that tonight - should be interesting!

At least not having the solenoid box on the winch it'll be easier to fit. I hope ....

Chas - shelf won't work - it'll just give her an opportunity to pack-rat more stuff ... she already uses all the back-seat as well - it's all I can do to fit the recovery gear in anywhere :lol:

Gary, is there not room somewhere actually inside the bumper? It's basically a hollow construction. Ditch the naff plastic casing and put the remote socket through the bumper (drill a hole...) and hide the actual block inside on a web or something.

Chris

Gary, dump the control pack and fit and Allbright - they are a lot more robust and also a lot more compact and easy to locate - behind the bumper will be the easiest place with short runs to the winch and batteries, failing that you may be able to mount in the wing.

Back