Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12v batteries

FLK 805eries

Country Flag
falkland_islands
So, both batteries flat and a bit knackered so replaced them. But being a bit limited on battery choices here I've had to buy a set of batteries that a little bit smaller in size. Is a 12v battery a 12v battery, regardless of its size? I bought a set of varta batteries. I had a look online and it says I should have fitted a varta G7 and G8 but they only had a E24 can't remember the other number. But it's basically the same with opposite terminals.

So, the question is; will this be ok?? Or can expect trouble in the future

At the very least you should check the CCA ratings and try be in the same ball park.

Batteries I took out were 12v 85Ah 320A
batteries I put in are 12v 70Ah 630A
CCA is doubled. Am I still ok??

yeah, the higher CCA should be ok.

the 70Ah downgrade from 85Ah is a capacity drop, impact this has will depend a lot on the load you put on the electronics and for how long. the charge voltage for these should be the same, and once you are on the move the alternator should be providing enough to keep everything running.

afaict here, you should not have a problem, but if your system is heavily loaded up the new batteries might not last you as long as the older ones did since they will be deep cycling more frequently.

did you find out why the older set were flat / not holding charge ?

also, some of the other guys might know more about this but the 320 CCA just seems a bit low for an 80 series... is that what the trucks came with OE ?

It's what was in when I bought it. Bosch 521 & 522. Which looked like they've been in there for a few years; starting to leak a little. It's been a cold winter here which more than likely contributed to it. So thought I'd splash out and buy new ones.
At the moment I don't have any additional load on it but will in the near future be fitting spot lights and a winch

They will be fine, the CCA remains at 630A when starting as only the voltage doubles, the amp hours will in fact be doubled to 140 when the engine is off or running, again this will be fine as long as you do not make a habit of leaving your lights on and so forth.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd been running with 2 x 70ah 510cca batteries since buying the LC in May '05 until late last year when they finally started playing up but never had any issues with them until then. I replaced them with 95ah 830cca units as they were the recommendation and I got a good deal on them but they're a bit overkill for me if I'm honest. Does give you a bit more of a safety margin if you leave your lights on though.

Back