Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12v Fridge questions

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Im after a fridge for the 80, and there are loads going about. Ideally something with about 30L capacity.

Whats everyones recommendations?

Also, a lot plug into the cigarette socket, but I usually have something else in there, is it safe to wire it into the power outlet bit in the engine bay?

I only have experience of the Waeco coolfreeze models. I have 2 and they are pretty faultless. Engel are popular and so are the National Lunar ones. I'd say the Waeco ones are the cheaper end, but I don't mean cheap. The internals, compressor etc are every bit as good, but the body is plastic. Some of the others are metal cabinets. So what? Makes no difference to the function.

These are proper fridges that use a compressor and real refrigerant. You can get £149 versions that work, but absolutely gobble power. In this country, I have run my fridge fro 4 days off the battery before it shut down to protect the battery from over discharging. These proper fridges do that. Cheaper ones will suck the battery dry which is bad. Yes you can come off the power outlet. I have a dedicated line for my fridge and I cut the fag lighter plug off and wired it in properly.

Ahh sorry you said fridge.

Sure one of those will be just what you need.

I've got an Evakool 55L Fridge Freezer.

You could either power it off the cigarette plug, or cut it off and install a different one (like an anderson) or run your own cabling to the back of the vehicle. If the cabling is not thick enough, you will lose voltage from the engine bay to the rear of your car.

Engel and Waeco are big over here

Aaron

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a couple of Waeco fridges with compressors,
They are very good and can freeze to -18 and -20

The neweast one I have for long journeys and events is this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WAECO-CoolF...4308782&sr=8-15&keywords=waeco+fridge+freezer

It has a remote control which shows me the temp and also the voltage of my AUX battery.
It can run for about 2 days set at 0 degrees from my AUX battery from a full charge.

I know they are expensive, but you only buy it once, the other older waeco one I have is about 4 years old and is a smaller compressor one its a size 30 off the top of my head, its very good and slightly better built than the newer models

Since 10 years I'm using Euroengel , aprox 36 L , works fantastic .
used it in the Sahara desert for 30 days in August , never a problem.
the sell their fridgges normale to army and ONG , red Cross ecc.
difficult to find them in a shop.
but call or wright them , very friendly, will sell Direct .

Renago

Are these Engel fridges, or a completely different company
cheers Graham

Back