Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

16 Inch Wheel Question

alouisf02

Country Flag
united_states
I searched a bit, but still looking for answers.

I have a 91 FJ80 here in Southern California. It has the 15" stock wheels on it. I'm looking for options to go to a 16x8 inch wheel set up. Can't find any 93'+ wheels locally on any listings, so was looking at buying online.

Question is, the wheels I see by Action Crash, are they legit? They look like stock replacements for a 93', but are they or are they replica? Does it matter?

Also, what are other options to consider? I see some steel one from Pro-Comp, but not much else. Any help would be great.

(Plans are to run a bigger AT tire and eventually go with an OME 2.5" lift)

Thanks for your help.

Anthony

Have you tried looking for Toyota alloys on EBay and then getting them refurbed Anthony? It's probably the only way to get genuine Toyota rims now. Otherwise it's a case of finding some good aftermarket ones. Again, EBay is worth a look to see what looks good on 80s that are for sale. It can be a long process.

Pop a link on here for the 'Action Crash' ones as I for one am not familiar with them.

Best wishes
Richard

Thanks for the response Richard. I've been searching eBay and Craigslist a bunch. Found some LX470 wheels, but doesn't look like those will fit. The LX450 wheels are hard to find. The 16x8 FZJ80 wheels are hard to find themselves.

Here is what I was looking at (sorry can't post a link yet)
uploadfromtaptalk1439830943584.png

They look very close to original and at that price are a steal! One thing, they state 5 lugs which is not an 80 fitment. But the photo shows 6 holes. Probably worth checking with them but other than that they look superb.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any other options for the 80 that are popular that I may be overlooking? Thanks again for all the help gents!

Scroll down Clive, there seem to be better prices there, though on first inspection I don't see why the difference. They seem to list 6 stud 'acorn' style which will probably be cone nuts (earlier 80) and no centre caps. I found some reasonable centre caps on eBay from the States.

At the price I couldn't buy a second hand genuine alloy and have it refurbished to anything like the new standard.

Last edited:
Yep, you're right there SC.

I was searching for non-standard widths but no luck.

I'd love some 10" wide alloys in that style...

You need to look for LX450 not LX470. 450 is the 80 series and 470 is the 100 series equilvants. Unless you're dead set on getting genuine Toyota rims I'd be looking into aftermarket rims. I'd suggest a set of mickey Thompsons, fitment 16" 6x5.5 there's also a very good seller in the states who's also on eBay SD wheels (Steve's discount wheels) just let them know your make model and year and they send you a link to all the rims they got. Very helpful people. Bought a set of rims for my girlfriend's prado; about £500 delivered to UK 16x8 zero offset

Agreed on the LX450 FLK.

Thanks for the info on the MTs. I was looking for information like that. Checking them out now. I'll report back, but from the looks of it, they look promising.

Many thanks again gents.

So this happened today. Installed the MT wheels with 285/75/16 Cooper AT3 rubber.

uploadfromtaptalk1440308304735.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1440308331559.jpg

Have a desert/mountain trip in 2 weeks I'll have to report back. Super happy thus far.

Looking into that OME stock height kit.

Looks like you've had a good result there Alouis, I rather like those and there's not many in black I do like. All I keep hearing is praise for the Coopers. I put some second hand (private) STTs on a set of second rims for off road use and they are very good and seem to be pretty good on road too with only a small amount of noise.

The truck looks great with those on [emoji6][emoji122][emoji4]

Thanks SC! Ya I'm super excited about them. My dad has the AT3 also on his F150. Everywhere I check had them priced really high so I wasn't aiming for them. I was ready to go with the BFG KO2. Last place I checked had them for a stupid price so jumped on them. Really happy with them so far. I had just found an article on these and the SST right before I called the shop and was really impressed with the review.

Back