Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1981 FJ40 Cruiser

Ajmagic

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All

I am considering purchasing a 1981 FJ40 Cruiser. This one has a 3 speed transmission which I thought was only limited to older models or am I incorrect?

The car is in A1 mint condition inside and out.

How sort after is the 3 speed as opposed to the 4 and what could I expect to fetch if I sold it on.

I will be importing it from Asia to the UK

Many thanks

Aj

IMG-8325.JPG IMG-8319.JPG

Hi and welcome to the forum. Wow! That looks lovely. Personally with no experience, I would keep it stock as the nearer it is to original the more value it will retain. Jmho.

What sort of cost is this going to be if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi mate, I won't be making any mods to be honest. I was more concerned if I should consider buying a 4 speed as opposed to a 3 for resale. This one is about 11k after importing it will probably cost me 3 or 4 k more.

Cheers

Hi and welcome... Nice looking truck (US spec by the indicators) but the 3 speed gets alarm bells sounding for me....
3 speed was linked to the F engine and that combination ceased production in 1974.

74 onwards was 2F with a 4 speed - different bell housing, clutch, hand brake position, etc.

I think you need to get them to send you the VIN plate details and a photo of the same, then we can investigate exactly what it is/should be.

Sorry to rain on your parade but then maybe that's why you asked in the first place.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi and welcome 3speed is not right and the indicators r not 40s but it is a cool looking cruiser it's a big :thumbup: from Tony it's a 40s.

Hi and welcome... Nice looking truck (US spec by the indicators) but the 3 speed gets alarm bells sounding for me....
3 speed was linked to the F engine and that combination ceased production in 1974.

74 onwards was 2F with a 4 speed - different bell housing, clutch, hand brake position, etc.

I think you need to get them to send you the VIN plate details and a photo of the same, then we can investigate exactly what it is/should be.

Sorry to rain on your parade but then maybe that's why you asked in the first place.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger

Thanks for the reply and this is exactly why I joined the forum for some sound advice, appreciate your help!!

So attached is some documentation they had with the VIN. I tried to search online but im not sure if I was doing it correctly.

Cheers

vin.jpg badge.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having run the VIN number, it is quite interesting...
Between 80-82 they build some FJs with either 3, 4 or 5 speed g/boxes and although designated as General, Europe & USA no 3 speeds went to the USA. Your vin designates it as a RHD. All of these were attached to 2Fs so you should be able to track a 4 speed box for it - maybe in France or Germany as they had a load of 2Fs. It appears that the 3 speed was a limited option for those 2 years.
The indicators are not right for the year nor is the position of the bonnet locks. The indicators look more like 70 series (early) but I'm guessing.
I wouldn't think the 3 speed is worth much because I don't think it will fit the bell housing on an F engine, pre 74 and it suggests that it is limited to those 2 years 80-82. But it also suggests that the 4 or 5 speed were specific fitment to those years so some measuring and research would be necessary to get the right 4 speed box. Somewhere I have the ratios so I'll try and find it check if it was specific to those years, etc..
Always interesting to follow up questions like this as there are so many variations, so one is always learning!
Is the handbrake drum attached to the back of the transfer box?

Hope this helps

Regards,

Rodger

Nice looking 40 and learning a lot from the replies. Agree the indicators look like 70 series but easy to swap. Is it me or does that VIN look tampered with.. the 4's look added?

All too confusing for me. So it is an FJ then? With a 3 speed box? Still looks lovely. Drop a nice 80 series 4.2 auto in there and I think I'd buy it!

Yes Chris it is a '81 FJ40 with a 2F (4230cc) and a 3 speed box. Without some serious checking, but I think that combination could be quite rare.

The 4s do look odd but my vin plate is similar - stamped without guide lines - and mine also looks like it was created by a operative who had too much saki at lunchtime.

If you are going to mount the correct indicators (originals are no longer available but there are some replica ones) and move the bonnet clips to the right places then there will be a couple of small holes to repair so make sure you get the correct paint code and type with the truck info as this is not, IMO, a stock 40 colour.

Regards,

Rodger

Having run the VIN number, it is quite interesting...
Between 80-82 they build some FJs with either 3, 4 or 5 speed g/boxes and although designated as General, Europe & USA no 3 speeds went to the USA. Your vin designates it as a RHD. All of these were attached to 2Fs so you should be able to track a 4 speed box for it - maybe in France or Germany as they had a load of 2Fs. It appears that the 3 speed was a limited option for those 2 years.
The indicators are not right for the year nor is the position of the bonnet locks. The indicators look more like 70 series (early) but I'm guessing.
I wouldn't think the 3 speed is worth much because I don't think it will fit the bell housing on an F engine, pre 74 and it suggests that it is limited to those 2 years 80-82. But it also suggests that the 4 or 5 speed were specific fitment to those years so some measuring and research would be necessary to get the right 4 speed box. Somewhere I have the ratios so I'll try and find it check if it was specific to those years, etc..
Always interesting to follow up questions like this as there are so many variations, so one is always learning!
Is the handbrake drum attached to the back of the transfer box?

Hope this helps

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger for the detailed responses really helpful. I think I will wait until another one a bit more genuine comes along. It was really beautiful though so its a real shame.

I left the country now and didn't take a look at the handbrake drum placement

Cheers

Aj

Hi Aj,
I do hope that I haven't put you off getting a 40.
There are numerous combinations and Asia is a great source for them but it sounds to me that you want a restored stock one that doesn't fall into a specific small production variation and that doesn't require any modification.... they are about.
Whenever you find one that interests you, get a photo of the Vin plate and the underside as well as the normal shots of the topside and interior and between us on here we should be able to tell you a bit about it.
Key change years are 1969, 1974/5 and 1979/80. Although the bodies changed little and at first look they all look the same but the changes can be significant.
FJs are petrol, BJs are diesel (24v except from Australia where they were 12v). LX designation is the top of the range.
All 40s come with a 'grin' factor; fun to drive and own and great off road. I hope you find the right one for you.

Regards,

Rodger

Back