Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1984 6-cylinder diesel fuel economy

Hublocker

Hello folks,

What is the fuel consumption of the early 80s Toyota Land Cruisers? I'm considering buying a 1984 with the 6-cylinder diesel engine. I don't believe it is the turbo version.

Would the turbo use more fuel?

I'd really like to know if the fuel economy would be better than with my 1995 Nissan V6 4x4 pickup.

Thanks.

It depends on a multitude of variables, how you drive, condition of the engine, manual or auto, import or UK model, but as a rule of thumb if its a UK 5 speed model in fair condition which should be N/A then expect to get 20-23 mpg. If it has an after market turbo kit on it should get 25 mpg on a run.
I've had every variation over the last 15 years and the best 60 series to have is the HJ61 auto.

Hope this helps

Andy(TTG) :thumbup:

Turbo wont make much difference. If its an 84 ,it will either be a HJ45/47,a HJ60 or a HJ75.
They come with various diff and gearbox ratios,so the fuel consumption will vary slightly,but I would expect 12-14 litres/100klms. Headwinds can push it up 10%
Automatics also suck more fuel at lower speeds.

i have yet to see a turbo increase fuel mileage.
the 2H and 12HT both return roughly the same fuel mileage, mid 20s. this is dependent on your right foot. if you push it hard the 12HT will drop to the high teens and if you drive like an old man then you might get close to 30.

load
right foot
condition of the engine
tire size

all have a bearing on fuel milage

Crushers said:
i have yet to see a turbo increase fuel mileage.
the 2H and 12HT both return roughly the same fuel mileage, mid 20s. this is dependent on your right foot. if you push it hard the 12HT will drop to the high teens and if you drive like an old man then you might get close to 30.

Is that US gallons?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back