Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1990 70 series 1PZ Diesel - Dashboard warning lights

wiggy

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi

I'm after some help with my 70 series cruiser fitted with the 1PZ engine.

A while ago my timing belt, battery and filter lights on the dash started to flicker on and off while driving. This would usually only happen after about 10-15 mins of driving and if you turned off and back on, they usually went out.
More recently though, they have been coming on sooner and staying on, sometimes they are on right from starting up the truck.

Timing belt has been done, as has the diesel filter, so I don't know why these are coming on unless all three on together means something else?

Has anyone had this or know what is going on?

Thanks

Hi Wiggy

I have a similar problem with these lights my 80 series. Been going on for two years. I still haven't got to the bottom of it. It is probably a poor connection somewhere. I have checked all my earths and alternator to no avail. Others have found a poor connection on the alternator causing this sort of problem so I would look there first. Good luck.

Byron

Had a similar problem with the Hummer and was told to replace the ignition switch behind the barrel but I sold it before the parts arrived .

Thanks... just had the alternator out and stripped it to check brushes etc. They are within tolerance but I would say well worn, did a few other checks and visually the slip rings are pretty badly scored, so it looks at the very least like a new rotor and brushes are needed, which probably means just buy a new Alternator and hope this cures the lights.
When I put it all back the charging volts have dropped slightly as well and are now under the recommended amount of between 27.7-28.7v, mine is around 24.5, which is barely charging.
I'll report back when I have the new Alternator fitted to let you know if it made the lights go out.

OK, so Toyota recon the Alternator for my truck is no longer available part no. 27060-17060
I can buy the internal parts though (bloody expensive) and rebuild it or I could get an aftermarket alternator. So, problem with this is NZ is rubbish and you can't get anything over here, so does anyone know a place (overseas) I can get a new alternator from?
My truck is the PZJ77 with the 1PZ Diesel engine.
Thanks

Guys I don't know whether this maybe relevant or not but in the Past I have worked on an factory turbo 80 series in Australia which had a Air Filter Differential switch that told you if you air filter was blocked. Found 2 things one that the air filter was totally clogged and that was changed but also found the air hose from one side of the filter to the switch was blocked and thus causing the switch to activate the dash light for clogged air filter.

We cleared the blocked hose and replaced the filter and straight the Boost Lights on the dash were back to ok and also the Air filter light was all ok but also for some reason the Alternator light when away.

The switch is a little white square box on the side of the Air Filter housing with air hoses and Wiring attached to it. Just thought I would mention it.:think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't know why these are coming on unless all three on together means something else?

Yes ,they are probably all running off the same circuit.

Do the lights come on when you turn the ignition to ON before you crank the engine?
Is this 24v or 12V?
Have you had the alternator tested for ouput since it was rebuilt?

I would start by making sure the battery leads at BOTH ENDS are good and tight.
I would pull the combination meter out of the dash,make sure all the connectors are tight.
Pull the applicable fuses out and check for corrosion.

Alternator is the same as 1HZ ,millions of them in oz. If you have a 24v and cant see any 24v alternators on aussie ebay,ask the sellers of 12v alternators. They have told me they can usually get them from their suppliers upon request.

I've got a 24v system, which is making finding the part difficult, most can only get 12v from the ones I've tried so far.
I'll order a new set of brushes from my local dealer and try this first. they can get it in overnight and its only $45. The slip rings on the end of the rotor are scored so I'll tidy these up and smooth them off, hopefully this will get me charging again until I can find a suitable replacement.
Do you have any links to places in Oz that deal with Alternators? They want $498+gst for an exchange rebuild unit over here.

Last edited:
Search for Ashdown Ingrams , big in oz but they also have a presence in NZ now. OEX is a brand of alternator they sell, top notch IMO.They also come in higher output that stock in the 12V range.

22 Sylvia Park Road Mt Wellington Auckland 1060

But there are dozens on ebay. Look for the ones with high sales.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I found a place in the states (not ideal) but they sell the original Denso alternators for pretty good money, considering Toyota want over a grand NZ, these guys will do a brand new unit for $239.60 USD plus $80 shipping USPS, so somewhere around the $400 mark NZ all in plus any GST I get stung for.

Having said all this though, I stripped the alternator, sorted out the slip rings, which were scored and dirty and purchased a new set of brushes complete in the mounting holder from my local Toyota dealer for $54 NZ and it's now working as it should once more.

Why all three lights have to come on to tell you the alt is on its way out I don't know, surely the battery light coming on would be enough and less confusing but at least I know why now.

Check your brushes and slip ring contact face if you have similar lights coming on your truck.

Back