Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1992 brake upgrade

hennie ferreira

Country Flag
uk
just want to know if any one atempt to put bigger discs on an 1992 and if its posible

It's been done but you also need to move to 16" rims as the calipers catch. Change discs, calipers and probably renew brake hoses too at that age. Use braided ones.

Thanks so its disks all round calipers all round nothing else need changing if you have pert nombers i will be greatfull

Also to change the backing plates on the front, there's no change to the rear brakes as they're the same on 12v and 24valve,

Hopefully you can buy new later bigger backing plates, as I also need some to renew some very rusty ones!

So all the work to do is just on front brake calipers disks and backing plates if i understand right thanks for help will look into it and let know how it go

If you put the bigger front discs and calipers on then another worthwhile upgrade is to use Genuine OE 100 series pads.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I heard that u could use the 100 Series pads on an 80, but have always been a bit sceptical due to side etc. Last thing I want is to lose a pad.

Is there a big difference in performance?

I think the 92 pre august have smaller disc front but same rear as all of them yes it will my 96 24 valve vx brake a damside better tan the 92 vx here so an upgrade is on the books roughtrax have good prices i think she said 250 for all parts all round brand new disks calipers and pads ebay have breaded pipes for reasonable price 2

You won't loose a pad...... for some reason 100 series use the same caliper but the pad has more friction area despite the metal backing plate being the same shape.....
It's not a spectacular difference but if you're putting new pads in it makes sense to put the 100 series ones in......they do seem to last longer as a bonus

I think RoughTrax also do Stainless brake lines.

After 10 years of ownership I have finally got new wheels on my 92 year 80 so I need to crack on and get this conversion done too.

*thread hijack alert* nice to see you around Paul .
but can anyone put some numbers on a upgrade regarding improved performance ? how many of us change our brake fluid every 4 years as recommended ? call me a cynic but lots of the perceived wisdom in tuning 2 stroke engines for example, in chainsaws is incorrect.

I suppose if Paul changes his brake fluid and then has access to a Tapley or similar tester and does a few test run's ....same for braided brake line upgrade and finally with the slightly bigger discs and calipers we would have some approximate figures but these would still be pretty imprecise .

I know that putting 100 series pads in mine made a slight difference but this also coincided with changing to Brembo brake discs and refurbing the calipers....and I did the rear discs , calipers and pads at the same time.

I run a 2 inch lift and properly adjusting the bias valve also made a difference as it had caused the fronts to be doing too much work ....

I'm sceptical about the claims some of the after market disc makers publish if you fit their freeze treated cross drilled and slotted discs...... same for exotic pads that claim huge increases .

I've always found fitting an expansion pipe and boysen reed valves to my Stihl and running Castrol R works wonders..... logs cut in record time and it reminds me of my race bikes ;-)

I'm sceptical about the claims some of the after market disc makers publish if you fit their freeze treated cross drilled and slotted discs...... same for exotic pads that claim huge increases .
yes there was a link to an excellent article on here that explained in depth why fitting drilled or slotted discs could be counterproductive. Braided lines , bigger discs etc. should in theory make a difference but the amount of variables in the mix makes me wonder about the cost/benefit equation ?
as for chainsaws did you glue the reeds onto the airbox lid ? ;-)

Well, I too have been sceptical about grooved and drilled discs an felt the brakes in my 24V auto, (gen discs and pads, overhauled calipers and braided hoses) were good for effort and feel the latest 80 I just bought has grooved and drilled discs, gen pads and new toyota hoses and the brakes feel fantastic. I drove it a couple of years ago when the brakes were overhauled and they felt very effective then too.
I think there are one or two others on here with the same discs who may add to this.

I think that seat of the pants conclusions about any improvement are mostly subjective Andy.As regards to chainsaws lots of folks confuse better throttle response & more noise with a power increase.Tyres & pressures , suspension , road conditions & weight in the vehicle will all affect braking performance.Having said that keeping your brakes in top condition should be a no brainer.

Yep I get you on that, that said it certainly sent the gauges on the rollers right round before locking on the MOT rollers yesterday without a lot of effort from right foot .

as for chainsaws did you glue the reeds onto the airbox lid ? ;-)

No need for glue ...I've found a Tenor Sax mouth piece wedged nicely in the end of the carb works well and on full song reminds me of Candy Dulfer which is never a bad thing ;-)

My bikes were all tuned by God himself Stan Stephens who had forgotten more about 2 stroke tuning than most ever learn .....

yep Stan was the guru of 2T tuning ,or one of em .but as modern sthil chainsawas are piston ported do you have some old obscure model ,some sort of antique ?

Back