Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1999 Landcruiser HZJ105 100 Series Mystery Part? Water Leak?

jimmmyange

Country Flag
australia
Just a couple pic from my 99" HZJ105 100 Series. I don't know what this part is and it seems to be leaking water slowly? Should it be plugged up?, help people? ID here would be good. Looks like some sort of valve.

Also my timing belt hasn't been changed since 150,000 i am at 260,000 do i risk a catastrophe coming up really soon. I just don't have the cash to do it now.

Just a couple pic from my 99" HZJ105 100 Series. I don't know what this part is and it seems to be leaking water slowly? Should it be plugged up?, help people? ID here would be good. Looks like some sort of valve.

Also my timing belt hasn't been changed since 150,000 i am at 260,000 do i risk a catastrophe coming up really soon. I just don't have the cash to do it now.

My advice would be to post an introduction of yourself and your 105 in the Introduction section.

Folks will then get to know you & your truck and respond with enthusiastic assistance.

AFAIK, you need 15 posts or so before you can upload photos, which may explain why your photos are not showing.

As for the timing belt, you're asking for a wrecked engine. Park it up and save your $ otherwise you'll be selling the truck for scrap soon.

JMHO

My advice would be to post an introduction of yourself and your 105 in the Introduction section.

Folks will then get to know you & your truck and respond with enthusiastic assistance.

AFAIK, you need 15 posts or so before you can upload photos, which may explain why your photos are not showing.

As for the timing belt, you're asking for a wrecked engine. Park it up and save your $ otherwise you'll be selling the truck for scrap soon.

JMHO

You've got that straight. I confirmed an appointment on Friday to have mine changed out later this month. Even though my baby only has a hair over 45,000 miles, it was assembled 17 years ago this month. They're pretty much the soul of an engine. That, plus the serpentine, tensioner and water pump for $925 plus tax. Not a bad price to pay for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The concern is that it's an interference engine, meaning that when the belt breaks, the engine continues to rotate but the valve gear stays stationary. Consequently, valves that were open when the belt broke, will be hit by the corresponding piston, when it rises toward the compression/exhaust stroke.

Inevitably, at the least, the affected valve stems will be bent and possibly the piston tops will suffer damage. Damage can be more extensive depending on the circumstances at the time of the break. If the engine is at idle, the damage may be less compared with a break at 70 mph.

There will be damage in any event.

Is it just me or has this thread lost a lot of its posts?

The concern is that it's an interference engine, meaning that when the belt breaks, the engine continues to rotate but the valve gear stays stationary. Consequently, valves that were open when the belt broke, will be hit by the corresponding piston, when it rises toward the compression/exhaust stroke.

Inevitably, at the least, the affected valve stems will be bent and possibly the piston tops will suffer damage. Damage can be more extensive depending on the circumstances at the time of the break. If the engine is at idle, the damage may be less compared with a break at 70 mph.

There will be damage in any event.
Resulting in a keck of a lot more out of pocket that a timing belt and labor. I'll take penny wise over pound foolish any day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back