Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-T overheat issues, water leaking straight out of engine

stCky

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello!

First of all I apologise for any incorrect or confusing terminology, I'm not very mechanically minded and just learning the ropes. I did search for similar problems but my lack of experience is showing by not knowing what I'm searching for :(

Pre-face: When I bought the truck, my dad and I thought it could have been stored for some time, due to the first start being quite smokey, some mouldy interior and cobwebs. I took the truck to a family-friend mechanic, together we did a kind of test (the exact name escapes me) to check the cooling system for exhaust fume leaks and possible head issue indications, we found no problems aside from some slight but consistent water bubbling in the radiator and the water looking rusty. Diagnosis, keep an eye on the water levels and if it drops significantly, bring it back!

The truck has done about 361,000 kms, the (cam, timing, fan?) belt(s?) were changed at 300,000km according to the sticker on the plastic cover, and not due untill 400km. I have no proof of the water pump being changed at this time or any.

Fast forward around 2 months...I would check the water levels every day for the past weeks, topping up if needed but honestly I don't think I had to top the water up a lot.

Today, and the issue...on the way to work, I noticed a very high water temp, I pulled over on the motorway to find barely any water in my radiator. After adding 3+L with the truck running I noticed it all pissing out the bottom of the engine bay. Adding more water resulted in more water leaking out the bottom. I checked radiator hoses and could not find splits or signs of leaks from then, so by adding more water I could see the water was definitely coming from the engine and not the radiator or it's hoses. I could see the water streaming off the bottom of a belt pulley (again, sorry for crappy terms), I have marked the area in the image below with blue. I could not find the source from here as the top of the area looked splashed by water hitting the spinning fan.

Please let me know if I can attempt to clarify or fetch some photos, praying I haven't cooked my first cruiser :(

Attachments

• 1hdtleakinghere.png
    1hdtleakinghere.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Does sound like a water pump but, something I have seen on a couple of 80's including my own is the core plug leaking BEHIND the water pump. Obvious not directly behind but the pump has to come out to get to it. Also if it has been standing and for the minimum cost I wold do the timing belt as well.

At tad concerned about the steady bubbling in the radiator as that could be the head gasket failing.

There should be zero coolant loss on these engines if all ok.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Dave...

Highly likely to be the pump and/or the core plug behind it, and both jobs can be done at the same time and are not too challenging to any sort of mechanic.

The "bubbling" is a worry, it's one of the first symptoms of a failing head gasket, and a spell of overheating caused by the leak will not have helped that at all.

Thanks a lot Dave & Clive, I was unable to update last night but this morning the truck is on it's way to our local mechanic - over the phone he seemed sure it was the water pump too.
I will be getting the water pump and timing belts replaced and will look to see what I can do re: diagnosing head gasket issues. Thanks again guys.

For future reference - My waterpump had broken. I never got to see the part as my dad picked the truck up while I was at work but apparently it had a decent hole in it. Mechanic said the head is still mighty strong, and the timing belt is in great condition. Will be keeping a close eye on all the fluids, then back to sourcing some new wheels!

Thanks again Dave & Clive.

Glad you got it sorted, and no other damage, keep an eye on the expansion tank level for awhile just to confirm you are not losing any coolant.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back