Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 85/75 R 16's on a 95.

wobbly

Garage
My mate has fitted 285/75's to his lwb Colorado.

He has 30mm spacers, and has removed the front mudflaps, there is no fouling on the road, dont know about under compression yet.

He went for this size as he can get bfg a/t's.

They look the same height as my 255/85s.

Are there any disadvantages to this size tyre?

Only thing I can think of is the circumference ?

Any thoughts?

Pete.

I bet they look the dogs danglies.

Fill the wheel arch very well I think.

Down points? none I suspect, they should last many thousands of miles.

Gra.

They do look good, 30mm wider than my mt's.

I want at's and I want bfg, so this is looking promising.

Will keep the mt's and find a second set of alloys so i can do a straight swap when needed.

Just the money to find now, Santa didnt try hard enough this year......

Pete

There are a few members on here that have fitted 285/75s to their Colorados - and it's a mod that I really love. I think there are some minor adjustments that need to be made to avoid major fouling - such as mods to mudflaps and the inner seam on the wheel arch.

Not sure whether the 3.4 V6 in its (UK) auto form would have enough wellie though and I'm sure that the (already fairly poor) fuel consumption would be affected quite badly. However, if I had a diesel Colorado (3.0TD or even better a D4D) I'd be trying out a set of 285/75s tomorrow!

On Camskill they are the same price as the 255's - £150.00 each inc vat supply only.

I *think* they are the same height as 255's so I'm hoping for an increase in mpg over the mt's.

Pete

Yes, the 255/85 and 285/75s have negligible differences between diameter (83.99 v 83.39cm) and rolling radius (263.86 v 261.98cm). Both differences are less than 1%, the 285/75 actually having the (marginally) smaller dimensions.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

However, I believe that most of the front rubbing issues are due to the width of the tyre, not the diameter - so you may still have to do some (minor) mods if you fit the 285/75s.

Good luck. The OEM tyres always look under-sized, upgrading to 265/75 make the Collies look much better, however the 285/75s really are the dog's danglies looks wise!

EDIT - here, I knew there was an old thread on this subject with some great pictures....

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/41882-285-75-16-BFGoodrich-KM2s-Fitted

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, they look great.

Time to start checking the sofa for loose change !

Pete

I wish i had known i'd need wheel spacers before i decided to go with 285/75 on a 16 inch zero offset wheels because i would definately paid a little more at the outset for wheels with a negative 20 or 30mm offset so i didn't need the spacers .

Back