Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3.0 d4d life

Seagull-russ

Country Flag
uk
hey all

my 120 is now hitting 171k mileage, seems to run fine still but some qol issues are making me wonder if now time to change. sat nav freezes and doesnt read the disc anymore, air con has a leak somewhere, seat bolsters are ripped too. whats the life of the d4d engine? is 171 getting to the end or its quite a distance runner?

thanks
Russ

I'm sure an D4D expert will be along shortly but I think the problems you've outlined are relatively minor in the scheme of things. The engine might new injectors and some TLC, if you haven't done those jobs already and will then probably do another 170k without issue.

The OEM sat-nav is probably shite anyway (when compared with Google maps or Waze), so I wouldn't worry - just budget for a decent android double din head unit or better still one of those "Tesla" panels they now do for 120/100s etc.

The Aircon and the seat can each usually be repaired for not much more than a tank of fuel, so again not a biggy.

The real question I would be asking myself is what is the condition of the underside rust-wise? - especially around the rear axle and wheel arches, chassis etc. If that is all sound then, the rest is relatively trivial - all imho of course. YMMV. :thumbup:

I did check the tesla headunit as mine is the lc5 so i guess that's the only option to keep ac control. underside doesn't seem to bad tbh, I know trevor said was good 5 years ago :p. thanks for the reply though :)

I don't like these in built Sat Nav's much - you're probably better off with waze / google maps / tomtom on your phone - at least you know the maps will be up to date and it wont cost you a small fortune to update the disk!

Does the LC5 have the CD reader under the drivers seat like the LC4, or is it a different setup?

its underneath the driver, i had an aftermarket cd in there which took such a pain to remove, however it still didnt work with the original disc. in hindsight i would have got the lc4 too.

Your engine is only getting warmed up at that mileage. Don't be worried about longevity of the engine, once maintenance is carried out. Check out the injector seal recall dates and see do they apply to yours. Diesel pump scv will need doing at some stage, but not expensive. Other than that they don't break.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With what pray tell might you replace it with ?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't .

Or you could upgrade to an older cruiser :icon-wink:

Last edited:
I've had 2 experiences with the D4D engine, one in the 02 VX Collie and my present 05 LC4. The Collies engine was a bit vocal but pulled like a train ( I found out it had a tunit chip on but wasn't told) and the 120 which is way more refined ( and also has a Tunit chip now installed).
From what I can garner, the D4D engine is a robust engine, especially if well maintained with regular oil changes ( I do mine at 5K) and injector monitoring as I know owners with 250+K miles which run like new.

With what pray tell might you replace it with ?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't .

Or you could upgrade to an older cruiser :icon-wink:

honestly im looking at a hilux , simply due to the fact its pretty much the same running gear as my 120 , always loved the aussie trayback/canopy style for touring since watch ronny dahl and his cruiser years ago

I maybe the only one who does, but I love the built in navigation system in my lc5. Get in, turn the key and it knows where you are.

Even in cities and in the heavy forests where the phones and gps-mouse things takes ages and a few miles of travel to get a proper lock.

Back