Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

6.5 chev diesel into 40

ian lynch

Country Flag
australia
has any one any info on this engine Brunswick diesel do heaps they say but I read different reviews on the chev engine

The 6.5 chevy diesel you speak of is probably the same version here in the states im sure maybe? If so i would avoid it at all costs worked on a few of them and they are a junk engine. wouldnt trust my life with one in my opinion.

Chev V8 diesels have a bad reputation for breaking their crank when under load, I have it on reasonable authority that they break their cranks when lugging under load, especially in soft sand, many years ago when I still lived in South Africa I looked at converting a 40 series pick up to one of the chev diesels, we went with a 350 V8 (petrol)
In the day a company called Diesel Dog at Camperdown, Natal, RSA used to specialize in the conversion but they are no more now, but Thundersport, Pinetown, still bring in the engines among other things.

I still fancy a V8 diesel for my 80 if I ever break the engine she has in her, but I will probably be looking for one of the hens teeth cummings truck racing engines.

If you like v-8 diesels check out the 7.3L power stroke made by international in the older Ford super dutys we have in the states. They are very dependable and rugged. will run on anything almost. I have A old Ford pick up with it and wouldnt trade for anything!

Agree with the above, the 7.3 Ford powerstroke has a very good rep here. You simply cant beat the simplicity of the engine and durability.

Agree with the above, the 7.3 Ford powerstroke has a very good rep here. You simply cant beat the simplicity of the engine and durability.

Yep! can beat the bark off of them and they just keep coming back for more! HA gotta love it!:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just buy a 12ht and bolt it in, common engine here and plenty of parts?

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_2181.jpg

Or you could do as I am and put in a 1HDT (160HP) with 5peed box. I have just recieved my engine from the gold coast around $9 grand including
freight.
$8000- 2nd hand Jap import engine.
$450- New bottom end bearings
$580- freight to Kalgoorlie Western Australia
Has everthing except starter and fly wheel.

Last edited:
Back