Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

70 Series Xbrake now available

It looks like it's going to get very snug with the exhaust system

Glad to see there using a decent caliper unlike the crap one on the Suzuki kit I bought....

I think Jeepmadmike may be right; I dont think I could fit the X-Brake system as it would foul the exhaust:

IMAG0089.jpg

What weird is though my exhaust is a 2.5" custom stainless job it follows the route of the original pretty much exactly until it goes over the rear axle so I think anyone with a standard exhaust would have problems too. :scratch:

I can confirm the X-Brake kit in its current form will require the refabrication / replacement of the centre, and the rear sections of the exhaust.
Simon at X-Eng has supplied me with the first production kit.
With the back-plate supplied the kit will fit all manual transmission versions of the LJ & KZJ series Landcruisers (and any other model which uses the same transfer box casing)
Anybody with a Japanese import LJ71 / LJ78 / KZJ71 / KZJ78 with the A343F 4 speed auto box will have to be patient and wait for different version, which will position the calliper lower down in order that it does not conflict with the cross member.
I am pressing Simon on this issue.
The kit looks well made and I can post some photos of the components if anyone is interested.

Angus

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ive been in contact with Si at X-ENG regarding a discount.

need to know how many people are interested and ready to buy a kit?

i know simon_LJ70 expressed an interest on the other thread. anyone else?

need a few more really. :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Have you swapped to a 70 series Chas?
Whoops :oops: No it was for an 80, Simon is investigating another type for that.

May be i am being a bit thick :?

Is the X brake a transmission brake?

If so i presume it locks the propshaft as it comes out of the transferbox.

Therefore if one of the rear wheels is not in contact with the ground then it wont work as the diff will come into play and allow it to freewheel :thumbdown:

Am i correct or being stupid :oops:

That's a damn good question. I can see that on a concrete ramp, it would work perfectly, but on a slippery rock crawl or some other less common but foreseeable situation, I can see issues. However, it's still likely to be better than the standard one. Well with the rear diff locked. So how does it work on a Landy then? or doesn't it?

Chris

I guess they would work better on a landy because they have permanent 4wd, ie two wheels would have to be off the ground or lose traction for it to fail.

There must be an expert on here who knows :thumbup:

A brake operating on the T/box will, in theory/practice, allow a runaway if one rear wheel is placed on a suitably slippy surface. You would need this surface to be on a hill and of infinite length.

No hill, no infinite surface, and motion stops.

Both series and Defenders plus Suzuki LJ and SJ have used this system for years, although in some European countries the Suzukis had a diff. lock that automatically engaged when the h/brake was applied.

In theory the system is perfectly adequate and as any frightening stories would inevitably engage the interest of the press "runaway Land-Rover mows down helpless nuns at a bus stop", it's likely that no such stories exist.

Although,

Some years ago I witnessed the h/brake on a series motor fail with the resulting sight of said motor careering down a steep hill to self destruct at the bottom.

It's all to do with maintenance.

I looked into the X-brake idea for my TLC some time back, and I don't recall any problems over clearance with the exhaust. Either way I consider £300 to be excessive.

Roger

surely if your on slippery or loose ground the truck would be in 4wheel drive.

being in 4 wheel drive in a part time 4 wheel drive vehicle is basically the same as being in a full time 4 wheel drive and having the centre diff locked, as the power is split/locked front to rear. :think:

im going to buy one, and if i ever need to apply the handbrake and im concerned about the vehicle slipping back due to one wheel not having much traction i will stick the soon to be fitted rear diff lock in. :dance:

after being out with the suzuki boys at the weekend and watching them drive over stuff that i couldnt, just because they had rear lockers, its spured me on even more to get some lockers fitted.

im hoping KAM will have finished developing there 70series lockers soon, otherwise i might just ring devon4x4 and order a pair of ARB's. :twisted:

Roger, the cost wont be £300 if a few of us are prepared to buy at the same time. ;)

JimmyLJ71 said:
I guess they would work better on a landy because they have permanent 4wd, ie two wheels would have to be off the ground or lose traction for it to fail.

There must be an expert on here who knows :thumbup:

Series motors have selectable 4 wheel drive, just like the Toyota 70 series and Suzuki LJ and SJ. The later permanent 4 wheel drive motors would not fair any better unless the centre diff. was locked, and even then traction could still be lost on one side. Then it would come down to frictional loses in the transmission.

Bit like that guy who strangled himself in his clothes airer. You've got more chance of being hit by a meteorite.

Roger

As far as I'm aware, contrary to what Angus suggested, it will fit a Manual 70 Series with a standard Exhaust without modifying the exhaust. As with all these things there are bound to be exceptions - but that's what we have found so far.

A transmission brake has two advantages over wheel brakes. First is that it is high up, out of the mud & water which reduces pad wear and gives it a better chance of working. Second, the holding torque of the brake is multiplied by the ratio of the diff - so for a given brake it will hold 3.5x that torque at the wheels so on the whole they are very effective, particularly with heavy loads / trailers. We have tested the Land Rover version holding a 7 ton rolling load on a 1:1 slope and can say that if you have traction, it will hold regardless of what you are carrying or towing!

I was sent a photo by a chap in the middle east with his truck parked on a steep causeway down to the sea - probably about 1:3. He was towing a HUGE boat that dwarfed the truck - and looked like it cost more than the whole of the UK put together. It was impressive - but made me wonder whether our liability insurance would cover multi-million $ boats!

Granted, if one rear wheel slips, the vehicle can roll and that's true on Land Rovers and any other vehicle they are fitted to. On the whole when this happens it's rare for the vehicle to move more than a few inches until the wheel has enough traction to hold.

Sorry about the price of it - the manufacture is a bit more involved, it has many more parts than the Land Rover kit and it comes with a cable. Our margin on this is lower than any of the other X-Brakes except Suzuki.

However, they do need some exposure - as people tend to buy stuff they have seen other people use and like. Therefore, for a group buy, say 4 or more to a single address - we will give you a deal which makes them cheaper than the Land Rover Defender version, kind of as a 'loss-leader'.

We have a plan for an 80 Series version, but we need to develop a new caliper for the job - which with the necessary testing & prototyping takes some time. But it is in progress.

Si

80? I want, I want, I want :thumbup:

Chris

Back