Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

78 Troopy Rear Bar Options - Show me yours :)

clunt

Country Flag
australia
Hey all, pretty new to the troopy thing (so new I still haven't even picked up my troopy), and understandably excited to get started!!

First job on the list for me is to find a good rear bar with either:

- 2X Spare carrier
- 1 X Spare, 1X box
- or 1 X Spare 1 X interchangable between spare and box depending on trip.

I'd love to know other experiences setting up their rear bars, and what options are out there apart from the expensive Kaymars

Show me what you got!!

A rear bar will probably be my next upgrade, think I'll go with the Kaymar Bar with double Jerry can holder on the left and spare wheel swing out on the right.

Check out wtaht the Portugese can do for You :)
AFN.pt
Would be my preferred blacksmith :)

Hi Mate.
I live in the Derby Western Australia. We regularly drive up and down the Gibb and into all kinds of tracks along the road. Be mindful of going too cheap as they can't always handle the punishment of sustained corrugations etc.
I have a Kaymar, dual wheel carrier, two spares are a minimum up here if going remote. Even with the Kaymar I replaced all the nuts with nylocs because within days the screws holding down the chequer plate that you stand on started rattling loose. I know Kaymar are expensive but really be sure that what you get isn't going to fail you at the end of a rough, remote road and if it does what is their service like?

See you out there.

Another SouthAfrican brand thats making its way into Europe is GOBI X out of Cape Town.

The bashing some of this stuff gets in Africa can in many ways be compared to the Australian Outback.
At least from my limited experience.
Kaymar unfortunately are EXTREMELY expensive once it has landed in Europe.

@Peely -> Out of intereset; How does Kaymar rate agains ARB in terms of Quality & Price in the Aussie 4x4 world??

Thanks @Peely and @SafariTecPeter. I've heard of the Gobi X stuff in the Jeep world, didnt think of them for Toyota too, brainfart!
I like the Kaymar bars, but 3.5K is serious cash, so I am checking out the options, seeing if theres any real competition :)
Cheers Lads!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another SouthAfrican brand thats making its way into Europe is GOBI X out of Cape Town.

The bashing some of this stuff gets in Africa can in many ways be compared to the Australian Outback.
At least from my limited experience.
Kaymar unfortunately are EXTREMELY expensive once it has landed in Europe.

@Peely -> Out of intereset; How does Kaymar rate agains ARB in terms of Quality & Price in the Aussie 4x4 world??

Mate, I'm not sure, I have no reason to believe the ARB aren't a quality build but have never had one. I'll check with some mates that might have them and get back to you.
Some of the down sides I have found with my stupidly priced Kaymar are as follows:
Various nuts vibrating loose (replaced everything I could with nyloc nuts)
Had to grind and reshape the reece hitch to accept the recovery hitch and shackle (the recovery hitches available where I live didn't line up, maybe they are longer over East?)
The trailer shackles are difficult to get to.
The trailer plug hangs off the bottom of the bar work and I have bent it already, I will relocate it into bar work so it sits neat and flush, and protected.
Don't like the license plate attachéd to the spare wheel and when I return from the my next trip up the Gibb next week, I will relocate it onto the bumper (somehow).

See you out there.

Twin swing out Kaymar Bar now installed......
2019-02-07_055748.jpg

I have a Gobi X one on mine with a wheel on one side and a box I put on the other carrier

410RbJExQmqpTGXyJmrWqw.jpg

TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-78-REAR-OPEN.jpg

Not affiliated but highly rated in ZA and I have one.They keep improving them

o4Fjm2IQRF8ziXKI85WVuQFsxbYnnoPKUEFDdXO50kcYUk8okswUwsRxvJA0RdTaN_QUyNnpOBgbEKICRtg=w444-h789-no.jpg

Back