Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series Bump stops

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi Gents,

I've noticed the rear axle of my 80 has no bump stops at all, where can I get them and do I need to raise them to take account of the raised suspension. I also noted that OME kit does not come with any bump stops!

Got mine from milner and made some spacers to extend them.

20140105_193615.jpg

Looks good Gary how do you plan to bolt them down?

I used bolts to bolt them to the chassis :icon-biggrin:

The spacers are box section and there's holes drilled on the side opposite the bump stop, bit fiddly to get in to fit them but don't plan on removing any time soon

Do you need bump stops? And from what i can tell they are only in the rear why is that?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I made mine the same way Gary. Perfect. Do you need bumps tops Warren? Yes. They stop you from over compressing things and breaking them. They stop one end of the axle moving up under articulation so that the other end does what it should. They stop you tyres from munching your wheel arches and flares

Mine seem to be cones within the springs, a bit like anti dislocation cones but bump stops as well. These would need to go if/when I put air bags in in place of the springs.

Running on them most of the time at the mo due to tired springs and lots of constant weight in the back.

You should actually have both. In spring and chassis mounted.

Chris, i have the steel plates but the rubber is long gone. So yes i need to replace mine

Pretty common age related failure Warren. As long as you can get the bolts out without snapping the beggers

Will give it a bash tomorrow and see what comes. If they come off then i will get some from Milners or roughtrax.

These are something that can at least be welded back on quite easily if the bolts snap. I wouldn't want to do it that way naturally, but you could.

You have me the idea Chris :thumbup:

Iirc there's a couple of holes in the chassis at the rear and you can give a good squirt of penetrating oil (i like plus gas). All bolts came out for me front and rear and got replaced with the bumpstops. They were from milner.
Had to extend after some contact issues

I still have the in-spring rubbers, but the chassis mount stops are nothing more than the plates.

As to whether theyre needed, I take Chris' point. However, on full articulation, i.e. when all the weight of the rear end is on one wheel and the other wheel is on full droop off the ground, I don't have any body rub from the tyre. There is also still some compression movement in the spring, which to me means that there's still compression clearance inside the shock absorber.

It's always been my concern that without bump stops, I may be over compressing the shockers and causing them some damage, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I'd still like to get some though, because there may be some more extreme occasions when the shocker may take a direct hit from over-compression.

Am I thinking on the right lines here? The spring itself is not "bound" meaning coils touching the adjacent coil above and below, in this fully compressed state, do I don't see the spring coming to any harm, again, unless there's a more extreme direct hit.

Gary so there are ones at the front as i could not see any on my cruiser?

IIRC, I've got in-spring rubber stops on the front, mounted at the top pointing downward, but I don't think there's any rubber block type stops on the front, I'll check now this has been raised.

Gary so there are ones at the front as i could not see any on my cruiser?

Yeah had 2 up front too. One was shorter then the other but just fitted 4 standard ones plus spacers

I have in spring ones all round too

Last edited:
i never even thought to check for bump stops. I'll add it to the list !

Back