Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series problem. Now solved, thanks Gary.

Nick Shepherd

I am a bit of a moron when it comes to electrical systems but I thought I'd be able to install a set of driving lights with no issues. I was wrong, it seems.

Installed the lights as per KCs instructions,

The power I took from the power outlet 20A feed, earthed to one of the battery box earth points (RH battery box).

The white wire (supply to switch) I spliced into what I thought was the high beam wire (right side vertical) red and yellow.

Relay and relay earth wire I screwed to the right inner wing sharing an earth with the battery.

I took the two KC switch wires back to a vacant switch position and connected them taking a short earth from the switch to a console support screw.

Connected the black and red wires to the light pigtails.

All this was without the fuses in the driving light harness.

install the fuses and switch on and the lights all work except, unexpectedly, the driving lights come on twith the dipped beam, not the main beam :?: Okay, I will just splice into the other H4 wire but I was sure I had the right one.

Thinking that I don't like to work with the lights on a lot and the the engine not running I go to switch on the engine but nothing happens. Try to turn the ignition off but it will only go to ACC and not all the way round to LOCK. Disconnect both batteries and the ignition key will remove but, once the batteries are reconnected there is no starter.

What the hell have I done?

Any help is most appreciated.

80 series problem, real time help urgently needed.

Moved the gear selector out of Parkl or popped the fuse for the selector sensor?? I assume an auto?

Re: 80 series problem, real time help urgently needed.

Gary, you are a genius, at least when compared to me :doh:

Thanks very much mate, I was going mad, assuming that it was my electrical stupidity, rather than my more usually reliable mechanical inability.

Pint for you, if I catch up with you :D

Back