Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series resto/overland build

Tommy345

Country Flag
uk
Just a bit of a build thread on a 24 valve 80 I am currently rebuilding for a customer, the end goal is to have a mint condition vehicle and prepped for over land travel,unfortunately I didn't get any picture before I started I only started taking pictures as I started on the rebuild, currently I am getting the chassis in to a roller,the chassis has been away and blasted then we got it galvanised and coated black,while the chassis was away the body shell was completely stripped and it then went to get acid dipped along with all the body panels,the body was in acid for a total of three weeks,we were surprised at just how good the body was after being in acid,while both the body and chassis were away I had the axels casings sand blasted, the rear went straight for powder coating while i set to on the front adding strength in to the casing,for that I used a superior engineering brace kit and a trail gear weld on diff guard, I have all the parts back now and it a starting to come together

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 417
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 720
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 566
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 428
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 398
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 372
OMG. I want your babies!!!

But first, take the IM springs off, have them blasted and coated too. and the shox. If you do that now, they may not be piles of rust before the weekend.

Where are the adjustable upper control arms from?

Wow its great to think there's a service like that available in the UK but i dread to think what it might cost ! very cool :icon-cool:

The coating has been changed from factory on the springs and shocks, I didn't mention I work at west coast off road,they are the imported for all products from Superior engineering, the adjustable arms and castor correction arms off them are a very impressive product, I'd very much like a full rear set for my 100

Interesting. Shame that WC haven't pushed that fact on here. There could have been quite a few interested people. Glad to hear about the improvement to the IM finish quality which can only be described as appalling. I have bought both the 2" and 4 " lift kits which have had a coating life measured in days rather than weeks and although raising it, have never had any response.

The Superior stuff looks pretty serious. Do feel free to post details should you wish. We all like shiny stuff.

I thought is was West Coast off-road - the build looks great keep the pics coming

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To be honest us being the superior importer has only just come about so we ordered what we needed for this job and got a few other bits to make sure we were happy with everything, as you can imagine we are very happy with it,we have since employed another member of staff to sort the web site and start pushing things threw the web site,social media and so on,we are also the importer now for AFN products, this build will be having a front winch bumper off them and also a swing out rear carrier off them,sorry you weren't happy Chris, we are trying to recognise our faults and improve on them

Well, websites are now the shop window for so many business. I do get fed up of looking at a site that has no product or prices. Kinda pointless. And there are quite few like that. So that's certainly a good way to go. See it, like it, buy it.

End of the day you don't make IM products. But hopefully now with a bit of input you can bring in some improvements to their products. I have the 2" kit on my GS at the moment and I love the ride. It's not man enough now for what I have added to the vehicle but that's not a reflection on what I bought it for originally. I had the springs blasted and coated and they still look good. Going to be very interested to see the Superior Eng products.

Ye the web is the way forward it's just very time consuming but it must be done,hopefully we will have a few superior products for people to see at the indoor show at the indoor 4x4 show down at Donington along with some AFN products and new items we have

Well, websites are now the shop window for so many business. I do get fed up of looking at a site that has no product or prices. Kinda pointless. And there are quite few like that. So that's certainly a good way to go. See it, like it, buy it

Thats why Roughtrax is always my first port of call , others may have more choice but Roughtrax website is almost as easy as walking into a shop .

This build is eye-wateringly juicy.

I've often said that the only "new" vehicle I'd ever buy would be a new 80 (it was a kind of safe bet till I saw this thread!):doh:.

BTW, no castor correction on the front (yet), what's the plan? Thought you might have modded the castor on the axle brackets whilst it was off and being welded.

Viewing with interest.

Clive I think that are probably modified arms. They look like they have been cranked already.

Chris

Chris is correct the arms are castor corected to suit the 4" lift kit so no need to mess about cutting mounts just unbolt the old arms and bolt the new ones in, job done

:icon-cool: :icon-cool:

Great work, would love to do that with my 80, it's tidy already but fully stripping etc would make it last so much longer

Yep its getting to the point were trying to find a rot free 80 is a hard task, I have a 100 and would like another 80 but I can't find one that I would be happy to keep, so its looking like its time to order my 105 chassis and build my 100 in to it

One day I'd love to do this. Thanks for sharing Tommy.

Out of interest, why weren't the SE superflex arms used...?

For what the truck is going to get used for it will flex plenty so just the castor correction arms were chosen

Got the rear backing plates back today but didn't have much time to spend on this project between other jobs, hopefully get it sat on all fours this week with the engine and gear box mounted image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back