Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80, which year is best?

Bodhi

Country Flag
wales
Stilling looking round for that 80 :icon-biggrin: but out of interest which year do people think is best model wise? Obviously opinions will very but I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers

Richie

If you take the 'best' as the most refined and equipped then the last one's made in VX trim will be it. If your preference is for a UK spec diesel then that means a manual as autos were petrol only. The last ones will obviously be the youngest so I guess stand more chance of being in better condition. 'Best' can mean different things to different folks, some will prefer a more basic lower specced model.

I'm of the opinion that the 97-98 diesels are the best all round bet. Best gearbox, best spec, best security, best economy. Ive a 97 GX with VX interior and I love it.

Andy

Whenever I'm browsing this forum I see the VX interior, leather, wood, climate control ... and then there's my truck a European spec GX, grey plastic and a whole host of electronics, well, a radio and a ciggie lighter....:whistle:

Although I dream a bit of something "posher" I'm often glad it's not when my 5 year old has walked over the seats in her muddy boots and my 94 year old father-in-law has dropped potato chips everywhere:icon-rolleyes:

I too have been known to walk-in a bit of mud :whistle:so posh is not always the best.

Mine is as basic as basic gets I think, no turbo, electric windows, AC, full lockers, but the rest is grey plastic and nowt else. It works (usually) and it's fine for me. :shifty:

Year? '95 and 350k kms. Almost no rust, the chassis and sills are great, still paint, but some surface rust on the chassis seams.

Ah, a PS, the big difference with mine is no disc brakes at the rear. I think this may be an advantage. Not necessarily better braking, but the handbrake is much simpler than the trials that I've read on this forum. I have drum brakes on the back, nice and simple and they work!

They glued in the glass on the 97/8 ones so you'll have better carpets but will need a new rubber when the screen goes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It all depends on what you want from the 80 to which year you get.

If simple is what you want then a early one if you want the best of all then i would say a late 12v like 93-94 so you get the big brakes or if you want the highest spec then a 97 year.

I personly wanted a simple version 12v i wish i had the bigger brakes but i am getting the parts together for that and maybe air con but looking at the bits to refit it.

lets have some details and we can help you along the way.
stu

I went for the 12v 94 VX, you get the bigger brakes, 3 lockers and manual gearbox. I would have preferred the later more slick gearbox but don't like the dash layout and I 'may' have a later gearbox coming anyway assuming it will fit? I would avoid the earlier models 90 -mid 93 IIRC? These were with smaller brakes/wheels and some had no A/C, the LHD models did not get the lockers here in Spain or Germany as far as I can tell.

regards

Dave

Sounding like the later model VX is the one to look out for :thumbup:

Depends, I have a 1991 Jap import, its a manual with all 3 lockers and factory fitted air conditioning that even works.

I don't find the smaller brakes make much difference, and I like the simplicity of the earlier models so it fitted the bill for what I wanted.

That is a good point Yogi, I think Toyota realised the 80's brake shortcomings when they were loaded up and perhaps pulling a trailer? If you are not loading up for an expedition then nothing to worry about, it is also true the JDM's often had better equipment. Simplicity wise I think they are close in that respect, not a lot of changes overall such was the original design. I have found one or two of the earlier ones cracking around the panhard rod bracket where it meets the body, and also over the 'C' pillars when used with a heavy roof rack, only seen that once and it may be 'one off' as I am unsure of any mods in that area on later models.

regards

Dave

That is a good point Yogi, I think Toyota realised the 80's brake shortcomings when they were loaded up and perhaps pulling a trailer? If you are not loading up for an expedition then nothing to worry about, it is also true the JDM's often had better equipment. Simplicity wise I think they are close in that respect, not a lot of changes overall such was the original design. I have found one or two of the earlier ones cracking around the panhard rod bracket where it meets the body, and also over the 'C' pillars when used with a heavy roof rack, only seen that once and it may be 'one off' as I am unsure of any mods in that area on later models.

regards

Dave

I'm still not convinced about the brakes. I have towed a 3 axle cattle trailer (unbraked!!) with 5 horses in it around a hilly area and had no problems at all. Having said that mine is a manual and I'm used to driving old vehicles and lorries and using engine braking rather than constantly pushing on the brake pedal!

Equally I've driven it on very steep windy roads in over 30 degree heat in Montenegro and Albania and never suffered brake fade to any palpable extent. But again I was treating it as a truck, not a rally car.

I'm still not convinced about the brakes. I have towed a 3 axle cattle trailer (unbraked!!) with 5 horses in it around a hilly area and had no problems at all. Having said that mine is a manual and I'm used to driving old vehicles and lorries and using engine braking rather than constantly pushing on the brake pedal!

Equally I've driven it on very steep windy roads in over 30 degree heat in Montenegro and Albania and never suffered brake fade to any palpable extent. But again I was treating it as a truck, not a rally car.

There's a lot of truth in what you say here yogi, although I have the bigger front brakes I've only got drum brake rears, but I agree entirely. Being a manual, I'm not always standing on the brakes either. It's my biggest dislike of autos, the reduced engine brake effect. :thumbup:

I like my '97, good spec, nice interior and great to drive.
I prefer driving it compared to the beemer

I dont see the point in changing for the sake of it but if you need to replace why not up grade at the same time.
My discs are a bit warped and the osf caliper was sticking so why not change it out for the bigger set.
Stu

I dont see the point in changing for the sake of it but if you need to replace why not up grade at the same time.
My discs are a bit warped and the osf caliper was sticking so why not change it out for the bigger set.
Stu

Well I agree with you there,if I was going to replace anything I would upgrade to, just for the sake of it.

I doubt Mr T ploughed a load of money in research/design/manufacture if the brakes were deemed adequate, of course driving a vehicle and knowing it's limits helps. I drove an 8 legger for a few years and if one day I drove a Volvo and then swapped back to my usual DAF I immediately knew I would be on the brakes way earlier, they were really not up to snuff when loaded up, the later model I got had the bigger discs and that could match the Volvo.

Horses for courses,

regards

Dave

so looks like i need the 80 vx spec, but not the 24valve? i assume this has the front/rear/center locker and leather seats?
whats the best gearbox tho,

so looks like i need the 80 vx spec, but not the 24valve?

Why not? 24V models are:

1. Newer
2. More tuning potential if you decide to go chasing more power.
3. Easier valve adjustment. Screw+locknut versus shims on the 12v versions.
4. Better gearbox(s)

The UK spec 24v VX's will have the F/C/R lockers plus electric leather seats. VX's from other markets may have different, possibly lesser spec.
JMO

Last edited:
Back