Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

89 Turbo Diesel Arriving Soon - Looking for US Parts source

skyking

Country Flag
united_states
Hi folks, new to the forum.

Looking to pull the trigger on a 1989 LJ73 Diesel on eBay from a Florida dealer who specializes in Cruisers.

Plan to do some mild restoration but it is in excellent condition. No frame rust, body is great, 2L-T Turbo diesel engine runs great with 119k miles.

Anything going to bite me in the back side with this particular year and model?

Thanks,

Sky

Pulled the trigger on the '89 - $23k shipped. Does anyone know where I can find a Owner's Manual for this?

Thanks, close enough to my '89 to get up to speed on systems.

This is in excellent condition - no rust, good exterior and interior except for front seats (gonna need recovering).
Land-Cruiser-89.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a beautiful truck! The issue you'll have with parts availability is that the 70-series was never offered in the US so most places are getting their new stock from Japan, Australia, or South Africa. You can try places like: Vehicle - 70 Series HD Land Cruiser (up to 1/90) - Page 1 - Wits' End - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club], https://shop.cruiserparts.net/, or Land Cruiser Parts - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]. Additionally, you should check out the Mud forums if you haven't already. 70-Series Tech - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Update: LJ73 arrived Tuesday morning, just one small problem - it showed up on the auto hauler trailer without the hard top! Driver claims it 'blew off' soon after leaving the pickup location in Orlando. Didn't stop and call the dealer to come look for it on side of road, when he did go looking 20 hrs later it was nowhere to be found. So I'm out a hard top and can't drive this unless it's a warm sunny day. Looking for a replacement. megazip.net has a new one for $7k and custom soft tops are $4500 (Columbia) - $6500 (Pakistan). Crazy money. Just need a good used hard top.

Not sure yet, waiting to hear back from Auto Transport Co since they are technically responsible for delivering it in same condition it was picked up.

That's awful. Sorry you have to deal with this. That top was likely taken and is in the process of being refurbished (some damage likely occurred to it). It'll probably show up on eBay or Craigslist, maybe the MUD classifieds. The transport company needs to compensate you for the top--no matter what the cost.

You may want to post on the 70-series forum on MUD. Someone may have one for sale. May not be in as good condition, but it's better than nothing.

Beautiful truck. Hardtops don’t just blow off though! Hope you manage to sort that as they’re pretty rare anyway.

I have a workshop manual for body etc that will cover most of the vehicle, message me your email and I’ll send you a link to the scan I did.

For parts try Partsouq and Amayama for anything you can’t get locally but the TLCA chapters can probably tell you what’s available Stateside.

Update: the dealer contacted the Highway Dept and asked if anyone knew about the top and he was given contact info for a guy that 'found' it - probably right after it came off because the car hauler driver turned around and looked for it but it was gone. Anyway, the guy that found it is claiming salvage rights and is trying to sell it (extortion) to the dealer. I told him to get the police involved as this guy has no legal claim to the top we were actively searching for. Not sure of condition, scratches and some small cracks are fixable and an opportunity to paint it - will probably go with silver instead of white. To be continued...

That's great that they found it! Hope it's in good condition and that you get it soon!

I ordered new OME suspension and Knuckle Rebuild Kit from Cruiser Outfitters and had to get a new fuel filter-primer assembly (mine was sucking air) from Partsouq.

Hard top has some cracks and a complete break across the rear vertical area - standard fiberglass repair stuff when I can get to it (need warmer weather for epoxy cure). I lucked out with both windows untouched and rustless frames and good gaskets/seals. Headliner has got to go, 34 years of tobacco smoke. No matter how much you scrape, the foam backing to the vinyl headliner comes off reluctantly but the original adhesive is going nowhere, even with an acetone wash. So I'll leave it and use to stick on the new headliner material.
Top1.jpg

Pulled the trigger on the '89 - $23k shipped. Does anyone know where I can find a Owner's Manual for this?
I found mine on line, I have a 92’ and some one posted it on-line. Good luck

Back