90 Bumper build

Andykdj95

Country Flag
great_britain
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This should be fun, managed to acquire an old steel stair case stringer and immediately thought rear bumper. So out with the wood tools made a template. Going to mount it on the rear part of the chassie by way of 2 brackets. This could take some time especially were the bumper meets the plastic side trim!

It's hard to imagine how it will look when finished Andy but it will be interesting to see . I have spent a long time looking at bumpers for the collie and as you know i have finally chosen a front one but there is even less choice for the rear and those i have seen were dismissed at a glance .

Hi Andy,looking good just a question but does your spare wheel still fit buddy.

Hi Andy,looking good just a question but does your spare wheel still fit buddy.
Your right I keep thinking must check the spare wheel but get carried away and forget, thanks for reminding me lol.

It's hard to imagine how it will look when finished Andy but it will be interesting to see . I have spent a long time looking at bumpers for the collie and as you know i have finally chosen a front one but there is even less choice for the rear and those i have seen were dismissed at a glance .
Yes really struggling with the joins that meet the trim that runs down each side of the truck, was even considering using the original plastic bits! But once I've done that there's no going back lol

Shayne there are som interesting rear bumpers here http://www.4x4time.com/Israel4x4+topic212+page8 you will just have to brush up on your Israelie to read the text

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha, ha, that's Li'l Blue (RIP) in the third and fourth photos on that link, if I'm not mistaken ....

thats part of the reson I'm modifying my truck hoping to move to Cape Town next year
Quite a few Saffas and others on this forum have moved back to SA over the last few years. Not for me, but I do miss South Africa a lot.

Best you get building and lots of pics as you go.

Last edited:
That looks really good Andy. Looking forward to seeing it in black. However, my only observation is that your recovery points which I'm guessing are the ends of your mounting brackets, look rather skinny. Most I have seen are around 12mm to 20mm thick. Yours at 6mm could tear through if really used in anger. Not what you want to hear when you've just completed it and painted it black but even less do you want a flying shackle in a recovery situation.

That looks really good Andy. Looking forward to seeing it in black. However, my only observation is that your recovery points which I'm guessing are the ends of your mounting brackets, look rather skinny. Most I have seen are around 12mm to 20mm thick. Yours at 6mm could tear through if really used in anger. Not what you want to hear when you've just completed it and painted it black but even less do you want a flying shackle in a recovery situation.
Hi thanks, really pleased with it so far. I did consider thickening the eyes but there attached to the cross member part of the chassie, the one with the big round wholes in about 2.5mmm thick. Have now bought a section of American 2" receiver and will use that as recovery point, once welded to the existing toe bar bracket. The eyes will be for show or hi lift jacking points with a shackle.
will post pics as I go, any advice very welcome and much appreciated

Well there's a blast from the past. Fancy seeing Lil Blue again. It's a mighty fine looking bumper and it took some punishment.
IMGP3850.JPG

On very sound advice from StarCruiser have remade recovery points now 16mm. Now working on receiver

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: Sag
Do you just disconnect the battery while welding on the truck Andy ?

Doing that would make life easy tomorrow (Friday) but i'm thinking arc weld might mess something up and i haven't got time for electrical faults given i'm off on a plane Saturday and will be driving to Romania soon after the return flight .

You can disconnect the battery if you haven't one of them connector things to put on the battery to stop it messing with your electrics,can't remember what there called I've got a Snapon one brilliant peace of kit.

Back