Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series - bargain!?

That looks like a nice truck. Seems almost suspiciously cheap though, given the list of aftermarket mods and replacement parts.

I'd want to go and look at it first. And I've moved about 160 miles further away from Wales than I was before!

It does look nice though

I'd sooner see a "Shedload of welding it hadn't had" . A tricked up Collie has a lot less appeal than a low mileage original mint one. I think at £5k is chancing it, it would be worth about £2.5K without the kit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't see the ad now because i don't have facebook but it struck me as genuine when i seen it yesterday and MOT history suggests to me its genuine .

A 2.5k car with 2k of kit and 2k of labour charges , its definitely worth a look .

The MOT history is a bit odd. It passes 6 years in a row [2015-2020] without any advisories at all and then in 2021 has advisories for corrosion over pretty much the whole chassis. I know MOTs are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Maybe for the last one, he took it to a more picky garage than the one he usually used. But, with just over 2000 miles done in the year since the previous MOT, it does seem weird to have gone from 6 years with no advisories to 'potential rust bucket' in such a short time:

• Nearside Front Integral body structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Integral body structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
  • Offside Rear Integral body structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))
  • Offside Front Integral body structure or chassis corroded within 30cm of a mounting, but not seriously affecting overall security (6.2.2 (d) (i))

I'd sooner see a "Shedload of welding it hadn't had" . A tricked up Collie has a lot less appeal than a low mileage original mint one...

That's pretty much my opinion too. I think that Collie looks great but you just don't know to what standard the work has been done, or where or whether cheap parts were used. I'm far from being the greatest mechanic in the world. But, when I do a job on my motor, I do it right and don't skimp on parts*. So I'd rather find a good solid base vehicle to pimp up myself than buy someone else's project. Besides, isn't half the fun wasting your own money to customise your own truck how you want it?

*[Reading that, fans of my botch job tranny sump plug may be spluttering into their coffee. I'm pleading mitigating circumstances on that one. The official part just wasn't to be found. ]

Took mine to Rob at Krown yesterday to have the underside done. While I was there a fella came by to pick up his truck (don't remember what manufacturer) All I heard was 'it's rusted thru here, rusted thru there, needs welding at points A, B, C, and D etc. afterwards we talked and he (Rob) said the number of people that turn up in a very nice looking motor but haven't ever bothered to maintain the underside....

A very common fact, that Mick. Some with all sorts of vehicles will spend hours washing and polishing paintwork, with no idea what the underside looks like

A very common fact, that Mick. Some with all sorts of vehicles will spend hours washing and polishing paintwork, with no idea what the underside looks like

The vehicles I buy are so old and decrepit the reverse is true for me. I spend so much time lying underneath, swearing and hitting things with spanners, I sometimes forget what the top half looks like.

Once you've finished familiarising yourself with the underside and the ground, you can start washing and polishing the top.

I still think its worth a look , to some rust means its not painted and to others it indicates a week spot that can be strengthened .

"but not seriously affecting overall security" , and if the seller is handy with a welder then why not make sure its fit for life before painting over it .

Strikes me as typical Landrover mentality . How many of us procrastinated over getting the underside sealed for longer than we should have ?

Like new are few and far between and if your going to kit it up anyway .........................

After over 45 years of Land Rover ownership and a short while of Land Cruiser ownership a welded chassis can mean anything from a few tacked on metal bean cans with weld like pigeon s*it to a fully let in and ground back weld which is almost invisible and anything in between. I have pretty much seen them all. So, if any vehicle I was interested had had welding done I would definitely go and see it to have a good poke at it.

Plenty would have painted over it and said nothing so I'm encouraged by the honesty

Back