Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A Rough Guide to GPS Coordinates.

24Seven

Confused I was, this is how I believe it works, please correct anything which is wrong.
There are three main ways of passing on locations using GPS Coordinates.

This is the same spot.

Decimal Degrees (hddd.ddddd°)
This can be quoted in two way, if before the first number nothing is writen then it's North,
if a minus sign then its South, same goes for the second number except nothing means East, minus West. Get it so far ?

51.178892 -1.82623 becomes N51.178892 W1.82623

Degrees Minutes Seconds (hddd°mm'ss.s")

N51 10 44.0 W1 49 34.4 or N51°10' 44.0" W1°49' 34.4"

Degrees Minutes Decimal Seconds(hddd°mm.mmm')

This is the most common format IMO and the way I set up my GPS's

N51 10.734 W1 49.574

How to convert without the internet.

You'll often find degrees given in decimal degrees (121.135°) instead of the more common degrees, minutes, and seconds (121°8'6'). However, it's easy to convert from a decimal.
The whole units of degrees will remain the same (i.e. in 121.135° longitude, start with 121°).
Multiply the decimal by 60 (i.e. .135 * 60 = 8.1).
The whole number becomes the minutes (8').
Take the remaining decimal and multiply by 60. (i.e. .1 * 60 = 6).
The resulting number becomes the seconds (6"). Seconds can remain as a decimal.
Take your three sets of numbers and put them together, using the symbols for degrees (°), minutes (‘), and seconds (") (i.e. 121°8'6" longitude)

If you use Map Source you can convert by marking a spot and then changing the position preferences.

If everyone used the same format there would not be a problem.

Even if you only use a TomTom style GPS this information can be handy, with my Garmin (TomTom style) I have an option for "where am I" and also an option to route to GPS Coordinates.

So you want to arrange a meet far from any post code, no problem :thumbup: You break down or get stuck and need help again no problem :mrgreen:

Back