A user map.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Folks,

I've started to put together something which will allow you to publish your location on a map for others to see. It's early days yet but looks like I can put a lot of funky things to it.

If you have a look in your control panel in the Profile section, there is a new field there call Map Location. Fill in there where you are. I made it a separate field because it has to be something Google understands to translate into a map coordinates. I know a lot of you put "comical" locations in for your profile location so thought it best to have a separate field.

As it is early yet and very much work in progress, here is what it does:
  • It places a marker at your location.[/*:m:3tio9rj7]
  • The marker holds no info on you yet. I will add to it so that when clicked, your profile details will show up.[/*:m:3tio9rj7]
  • The map will not centre on you. Currently, I am the centre of everything ( :ugeek: ) and it focuses on me me me me. Sorry, shrink says I need to get over it...[/*:m:3tio9rj7]

It may be slow to load for now. This really was a let's-see-what-I-can-do-while-kettle-boils thing. Now that I have the ground work done, I will add to it.

Once you have updated your location, click here: [strike:3tio9rj7]http://qa.landcruiserclub.net/cp.php[/strike:3tio9rj7] http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/view_user_location.php

Some things I have in mind for it:
  • More detail to come up with the markers.[/*:m:3tio9rj7]
  • Live updates (how cool is that? :ugeek: ) for people with Google Latitude on their phones[/*:m:3tio9rj7]
  • I'll think of more[/*:m:3tio9rj7]
  • ...anything you throw at me...[/*:m:3tio9rj7]

So, please fill in, have a play and comments and suggestions please.

Thanks.

Meant to add:

If you put something in that does not work, try putting it in to maps.google.com and see if it works there (I use the same service). If it does and you still have problems, let me know. If it does not work, walk down the road to the nearest corner and copy down the street name. Probably your spelling :mrgreen:

Cool!

I like the idea of syncing with google latitude :)

I'm there, I think :think: no name yet, will that be coming later Crispin? and will there be a link for viewing the map?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin alert, , ,

I am the most Easterly, but it is not showing.
I am found on Goog maps = Weifang, Shandong, China

Graham

Graham said:
Crispin alert, , ,

I am the most Easterly, but it is not showing.
I am found on Goog maps = Weifang, Shandong, China

Graham

You have not got anything saved in the field. Enter the details again and press Save.

Tommo&Claire said:
When i'm out on patrol can i just give you a Lat&long!! :think:
Currently only works on addresses so could you carry a list of post codes with you? ;)
It should be an easy thing to allow Long/lat. Will let you know. Also, have a look at Google Latitude. Does it for you :geek:

Cossack said:
I'm there, I think :think: no name yet, will that be coming later Crispin? and will there be a link for viewing the map?
Yup, yours is there. If you zoom in on the map you can see yours just next to Morden Park.

Tommo&Claire said:
When i'm out on patrol can i just give you a Lat&long!! :think:

Google kindly translate the address for me without having to do anything. You can put your co-ords in.

Right, after a few issues with google getting annoyed with me, it is now working again. The limit of showing ten people has been removed. Come on folks, sign up :D

Looks good Crispin, are you going to have a link at the top somewhere for quick access to the map?

yup, when I finish it and actually integrate it with the forum it'll be more apparent. For now, it's a WIP while I finish it.

Nice one Cris :thumbup:

Is there an issue with 2 members in the same town... I think I'm underneath a SilverLady :o

He's so big you can't see me ;)

I see crispin is sitting on tonyp too ;)

Daniel911 said:
Can you add a user search app?

I'll add it to the list. For now, you can search for a person normally and click on their link.
Bat21 said:
Nice one Cris :thumbup:

Is there an issue with 2 members in the same town... I think I'm underneath a SilverLady :o

He's so big you can't see me ;)

I know about that problem. I was under Tony for a while :shock: I think there is a way to create an offset for duplicates, busy checking on that. There are a couple simple hacks I could do if not. As a fix though, add a random street near the marker as your address and it'll do it for you. I put Bulls Lane, Welham Green and it put the different marker in.

Back